Making Sure Fun in the Sun Stays That Way

Summer seems an opportune time to dust off that old boat, grab coolers and snacks and head to a favorite spot on the lake, river or beach.

Whatever the destination, remember to pack sunscreen because protection from prolonged sun exposure can provide many more years of fun in the sun.

Failing to protect the skin from the sun significantly increases the risk of getting melanoma, which kills one person - most of whom are only in their 20s or 30s - every hour of every day, said Steven Mackey, a dermatologist who owns his own practice.

Mackey suggests wearing sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15, even when outside only a short amount of time.

"The most important thing about sunscreen is using it," Mackey said. "Many makeups and moisturizers commonly used by females have sunscreen in them now, and I think we will see a significant decrease of skin cancer in women who use these in the future."

Valerie O'Neal, a junior in sociology with concentration in crime and deviance, spends her time in the sun wakeboarding and bass fishing, but protects her skin as much as possible.

"I go (outside) every weekend, and I use lots of sunscreen because I'm very fair," O'Neal said.

Most harm from the sun comes from being sunburned, which causes damage to the DNA of skin cells, Mackey said.

"I wear 15 SPF makeup, and I do not go to tanning beds," O'Neal said.

People with fair skin types are most likely to get burned, Mackey said.

Jonathan Guyette, a junior in landscape architecture, works in direct sunlight for long periods of time each day.

"I do roofing and have to wear a wide-brimmed hat and long pants," Guyette said. "It's like 115 degrees on the roof, so it can be bad."

Guyette said he does not burn often and does not use any sunscreen.

Contrarily, Calvin Smith, a senior in sociology, said he does not go outside often except when walking to class or attending baseball games.

"I just don't go outside much," Smith said. "But if I know I'm going to be outside for awhile, I might put on some sunscreen."

Exposure at a young age can predispose people to get skin cancer later in life, Mackey said.

"I've treated skin cancers in children as young as 14," Mackey said. "My youngest melanoma patient was 17."

Some students take action against sun damage by visiting a dermatologist.

"I went to the dermatologist regularly when I was in middle school," O'Neal said. "I have had about 40 moles removed, and some looked like they could possibly be cancerous."

Non-melanoma skin cancers affect approximately 1 million people a year, Mackey said, and if not treated in the early stages can mutate into cancer cells.

Many college students just do not care about skin damage from sun exposure, Smith said.

"Most people have this 'I'm in college, so I won't get hurt' mentality'," Smith said. "They don't think about long-term effects."

Mackey said he thinks people gravitate toward tanning with little-to no-protection because of the present-day image of beauty.

O'Neal agrees.

"I think in today's time, the fashion is all about everybody having to be tan and dark, so they go out without sunscreen," O'Neal said. "It's all about the 'now' and not what they're going to look like at 50."

Share and discuss “Making Sure Fun in the Sun Stays That Way” on social media.