Special Teams Kicks Things Up For Season

Clinton Durst
Auburn football vs Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday, August 30, 2008 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst
Clinton Durst Auburn football vs Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday, August 30, 2008 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst

This year's special teams unit is working together this summer to become more consistent while making sure to get its timing down.

"In order to get all of the timing down just right, from the snap to the hold to the kick, it just takes a lot of practice and working with each other repetitively," said placekicker Wes Byrum, a junior in business.

As a unit they are working mostly on the new protection scheme they have, as well as the new punt formation, said punter Clinton Durst, a red-shirt junior in human resource management.

He said the special teams unit has a period of time at the beginning of practice where they do nothing but get everyone on the same page with formations and timing.

Josh Harrison, a red-shirt freshmen long snapper, will be playing his first season this fall. He is catching on very quickly to the team's techniques.

"The special teams are adjusting extremely well to Harrison (long snapping) this year," Byrum said.

Each player said they have their own goals they are working toward this summer.

Durst said he is working on taking his average up by two or three yards. He also said he is working on increasing his fair catches from last season.

"One of the most important parts of punting is pinning the other team as close as possible to the goal line," Durst said.

It is important for special teams to help create a longer field for the other team's offense, he said

"As a long snapper, I want to be perfect every time we are on the field as a unit, whether it be field goals or punts," said Josh Harrison, a sophomore in political science. "I also want to make sure to get my timing down. We are a lot like a trio -- from the snapper, to the holder and then the kicker or punter."

He said that is why it is important to all work together and focus on what is going on during the game.

Harrison said the importance of their trio and the rest of the special teams comes along with getting to know each other outside of football.

"We all just got done playing golf as a group," Harrison said. "We don't just hang out at football. We are all really good friends, and I think that will pay off in the long run because we know how each other reacts in different situations."

Although Harrison said he enjoys getting to know the team while becoming close friends, he also appreciates that not many people may know his name on the field.

"Outside of my close friends, it is good that nobody knows my name," he said. "If people know the long snapper's name, that usually means you have messed up in a game. That is probably one thing I enjoy the most: flying under the radar."

Auburn's special teams' summer work-outs consist of the exact same things as the rest of the team's, Durst said.

"We kick three times a week, and everyone is working very hard," Byrum said. "We will probably move it up to four times a week as the summer winds down."

Share and discuss “Special Teams Kicks Things Up For Season” on social media.