Auburn Students Make Contributions to Fuller Legacy

Competitors in the average spring triathlon bike for 12 miles. For ironman athletes, that number jumps to 112 miles. Now imagine biking for 1,268 miles. That's what the cyclists who were a part of the Fuller Center Bicycle Adventure did.

But when triathletes start running, the Fuller Center members reach for hammers.

The Fuller Center for Housing, a non-profit Christian housing ministry, was founded by Millard Fuller to eliminate sub-standard housing worldwide. The group's slogan is "building on higher ground."

The Bicycle Adventure group began in Benton Harbor, Mich., and ended in Tallahassee, Fla. The ride took five weeks and passed through seven states. Local churches and shops helped along the way, providing shelter and assistance.

The group's goal is to raise $200,000 to aid those in need of decent housing. Last year's ride raised $135,000.

There were 18 riders who made the journey across the country, with Ryan Iafigliola as the trip leader. One of the riders, Michael Tiemeyer, is an Auburn graduate student studying for a masters in applied mathematics and a doctorate of philosophy in mathematics.

The Fuller Center has made its presence known on Auburn's campus. "If anyone wants to get involved with the Fuller Center at Auburn, there's a facebook page and there will be a legacy build in September in honor of Millard Fuller, who passed away in the spring," said Chelsea Ferguson, a junior in biomedical sciences who helped Meghan Kaple get a charter for the Fuller Center at Auburn.

Share and discuss “Auburn Students Make Contributions to Fuller Legacy” on social media.