'Come On and Take a Free Ride'

"Toomer's Ten."

There's just a nice ring to it, isn't there?

Ten buses running along seven night transit lines, originating on Magnolia near SkyBar, wait to take students back home.

This program has been a long time coming, and we applaud its arrival.

We're glad Auburn has caught up to our other fellow SEC schools, many of whom have had similar programs in place for some time.

The new system is a vast improvement to the former night transit systems, a system of buses that took students from the various parking lots to set on-campus locations.

Those buses' schedules were sporadic and often led to students waiting in dimly lit parking lots for a ride on a bus that they began to believe might never appear.

Needless to say, the idea of standing around a parking lot at night alone certainly doesn't sound appealing, and certainly would be a safety concern and a possible liability for the University.

With the new system in place, set routes and stops are a standard part of the system, and schedules are posted on Auburn's Web site and have been sent out in e-mail updates through the Tigermail system.

We envision the system to be a great help during finals, as late-night visits to campus become not just the norm, but an absolute necessity.

The Magnolia starting location is a stroke of genius, especially considering the foot traffic that end of Magnolia sees on any given night.

We would strongly encourage those of you who, perhaps, enjoy the nightlife too much to fully take advantage of this new system as well, rather than try to drive home and risk a DUI or possibly injuring yourself or others.

Contrary to popular belief, we get no joy from running the DUIs each week, we assure you.

We love the fact the buses will be running on Saturday evenings, although we are a bit confused as to why they will not run on gameday Saturdays.

Maybe we're just victims of muddled thinking or convoluted logic, but, considering the volumes of people on campus those days, wouldn't gamedays be the time when such services would be greatly needed?

We are certain changes and modifications will be made as the "Toomer's Ten" start to hit their stride.

We are optimistic to see what a marvelous system it will one day become in the near and not-so-distant future.

Job well done, Auburn, job well done.

Share and discuss “'Come On and Take a Free Ride'” on social media.