Auburn Fans Show Support with Gameday Buttons

From Tiger Walk to rolling Toomer's Corner, Auburn fans can always find time for gameday traditions.

For more than 20 years, the Auburn University Bookstore has added to these traditions by giving fans a different way to show their spirit.

Gameday buttons, free to fans in the Auburn University Bookstore every home game, feature slogans about the day's game and are prized possessions of both students and alumni.

"Auburn loves tradition and this has been one that is mostly good-spirited and fun," said Katie Lee, bookstore director. "You can show your Auburn spirit right there on your shirt."

Saturday's game against Mississippi State had students and alumni wearing buttons declaring a "State of Confusion."

The tradition began in 1987 with Bob Ritenbaugh as a way to bring customers into the store, Lee said.

And bring customers into the store it did.

The buttons go out each Saturday morning and are on a first come, first serve basis for fans.

"There are quite a few fans and alumni who come in and make a beeline for the store to get their game buttons," Lee said. "Later on in the day, when it gets closer to kick-off, we're way out."

To accommodate for the high demand, the bookstore varies the number of buttons ordered every game.

For traditional opponents, like Florida or Alabama, 5,000 to 6,000 are made.

For less traditional opponents, like Ball State and Louisiana Tech, as few as 3,500 are made.

"We get extremely, extremely busy three to four hours before kick-off and everyone is looking for the buttons," said Scott Saavedra, a senior in history. "You get some really disappointed people when we run out."

Alumni see the buttons as an integral part of any home game and don't feel the same if they miss out on any.

"I don't really dress up for games, but I have to have a button," said alumna Jessica Battles, class of 2009. "I consider the gameday button part of gameday attire, and I get very upset when they run out."

Alumna Christie Baker, also class of 2009, collected buttons from every game while she was a student.

"It's neat to see them through the years and have keepsakes for all the games," Baker said.

However, she was unable to get one at the opening game against Louisiana Tech.

"I was frustrated because I wanted to continue my collection when I got out of Auburn, but I wasn't able to get one," Baker said.

Many people who collect the buttons remember favorite slogans from years past.

Lee said she has two favorites: "Easy Like Sunday Morning" from a Vanderbilt game and "Taste Like Chicken" from a Florida game.

Some alumni, however, have a harder time picking a favorite.

"I probably have about 30 buttons, and I don't think I could pick just one," Battles said. "I really like all of them."

If you are unable to make it to campus on gameday, the bookstore does pass out buttons to different departments the Friday before for pre-distribution.

However, Lee said she likes to keep a majority of the rights to distribution in the store for individual fan use.

Otherwise, Lee said fans are out of luck if looking to score one after the game is over.

"We used to try and keep one of every game button in shadowboxes, but there is usually one person who still needs one late in the day," Lee said. "So to make customers happy, I have had to sacrifice having a complete set."

Share and discuss “Auburn Fans Show Support with Gameday Buttons” on social media.