Black Student Union Stresses Importance of Diversity at Luau

Diversity is the name of the game in the coming year for the Black Student Union, which hosted its annual Back to School Luau Thursday, Aug. 27.

The event was held at the Aquatics Center of the Student Activities building and featured free food and fellowship to accompany the pool-party atmosphere.

The organization stresses the importance of students not keeping themselves in demographic cliques lest they miss out on learning from others' backgrounds and experiences. It also serves to better acclimate incoming students to the University.

"We are trying to achieve diversity," said Faith Kashaa, a sophomore officer for the BSU. "Our events are open to all Auburn students, and we really just want everybody to come out and have a good time throughout the school year in a positive way. Free food, free fun. I know that I got to know a lot of people, and I think it's a great way to get to know people around campus."

Known as the Black Student Action Committee upon its founding in 1984, the BSU was created to represent the interests of African American students and to improve race relations at Auburn University. It also aims to promote Black students' involvement in other campus activities, such as SGA and collegiate ministries.

"We want all races on Auburn's campus to come out and share and have fun meeting new people," said Jenell Lymon, also one of the BSU's sophomore officers.

While obviously striving to achieve this through the utilization of African American culture and heritage, the organization invites all to share the values of their people in moving toward a better overall understanding. Opportunities to do this include attending one of the BSU's many fall events.

"Next week is the unity art show where all the fraternities and sororities come out," Kashaa said. "It's a great way to bring people together. BSU is going to be celebrating its 20th anniversary homecoming week and we'll have plenty of events happening for everyone to enjoy."

Applications and more information can be found in the BSU's office, suite 3130 of the Student Center, or at auburn.edu/bsu.

Share and discuss “Black Student Union Stresses Importance of Diversity at Luau” on social media.