Blake Hamilton / Associate Campus Editor

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Auburn Hosts Renewable Energy Conference

Cars of the future were the talk of the town Nov. 17-18 as Auburn hosted the Sixth Annual Alabama Renewable Energy Conference at The Hotel at Auburn University and Dixon Conference Center.More than 200 scientists and engineers from across the country attended the conference, exchanging concepts ranging from alternative forms of energy to the design of vehicles to implement these technologies."I was very pleased with the turnout at the conference," said Kathy Hornsby, renewable energy program manager with the energy division of the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Extended Insurance Available for Holidays

The holiday season has arrived, meaning faculty and students alike will be throwing end-of-semester parties.However, in this age of endless litigation, an age where one can seemingly be sued for looking at someone else in a funny way, is basic homeowner's insurance enough protection?Enter event insurance, special coverage that can make sure all bases are covered in the event of an accident, arrest or any other liability specific to a medium to large-scale event."If it is a small party at your house, your homeowner's (insurance) probably is enough," said Alan Mitchell, Eclectic Insurance agent.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Four Auburn Grads Receive Lifetime Achievement Award

Four Auburn graduates who went on to be movers and shakers will find recognition from the Auburn Alumni Association as its Lifetime Achievement Award is distributed next March.The 2010 recipients will be Robert Kenneth Johns '57, Smith Lanier '49, Gerald Smith '61 and Kathryn Thorton '74."Numerous individuals are nominated each year who have had significant careers and made outstanding contributions over their life times," said Debbie Shaw, vice president for alumni affairs and executive director of the Auburn Alumni Association.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Auburn Students Build Their Own Degrees

For those who can't find a major that suits them, they can now make their own.One of Auburn's newest academic programs allows for students to build their own degree, creating a personalized discipline that meets their individual interests.The Interdisciplinary University Studies program is currently in its first year at Auburn under the direction of Patricia Duffy, professor in agricultural economics, and Doyle Bickers, the registrar-continuing.

More articles »