Semester Looking Up on Campus, Outside Life

New year at Auburn, and I must say I am pleased with how this year is looking.

This weekend is the first football game, and I am getting my new apartment ready for cooking out and a couple of brewskies before the game with all my close friends.

I am going to say with Lousiana Tech, there is a W in the sack. Well, hopefully.

There is at least a nice lineup of games starting Thursday for all the football fans. Auburn tailgating with the alumni and out-of-towners starts this weekend as well. 5 o'clock Wednesday and the RVs are rolling into town.

Nothing beats Auburn traditions with the 'Auburn family.' There is something about the adrenaline rush I get when Spirit circles over the student section with the entire stadium cheering for one purpose.

Against tradition, there are some changes that I'm not too sure about. I'm still iffy on the Tailgating Guys, but we will see how that plays out. But SGA has managed to snag some tents exclusively for groups of students on campus.

Check that out. Applications are due Friday.

With this year starting off nicely, I would like to say props to SGA for some positive acts for the semester thus far. I am a fan of the new Toomer's Ten. I fully support it. Their numbers are showing positive feedback from student riders.

I'm interested to see what else Mr. Watkins has in store for us as the semester continues.

Dr. Carry has impressed me thus far as well, and I know we can expect notable actions from him. Sometimes we just need a change and a step up from stagnant leadership. And Dr. Carry has already gone above and beyond my expectations with getting the student leaders to converse and listening to what we have to say.

Communication seems to be the underlying theme for my year. My staff has been chanting the God awful cliche "Communication is the key to success." It has been mainly for my entertainment, but there is some reason behind it as well.

Talking about the success of the whole first two weeks wouldn't be complete without mentioning the new staff and the progress of the paper so far. Working by the dim lights of the computer screen and the security light after midnight in the office has been the highlight of my time. And I say that genuinely.

I look forward to what we can do for you. On that note: let me know if there is something you want to see changed or covered.

I'm looking forward to some entertainment this semester.

Daniel Tosh coming to campus is something to be excited about. If you haven't had the pleasure of watching his 'Soup'-esque show, I highly suggest going to see him while he's here.

When I get to explore life outside of these walls, I will be attending several concerts in the Atlanta and Birmingham areas. I'm actually pleased with the lineup of bands coming through this fall and winter.

Even though I have to spend my Halloween holiday in Austin, I think I'll be able to look over that bump in the road.

So, life on campus seems to be looking up for now. Auburn does have its ways of hiding its true colors at times, but for now, things seem to be meshing the way they should be.

So I'm going to try to go to class, unlikely, and enjoy my last year at Auburn.

After all, it is senior year.

Share and discuss “Semester Looking Up on Campus, Outside Life” on social media.