Lindsey Davidson / Editor

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Fasting Should be More Than a Fad

It's the season for Lent: a proud tradition for many to feel they are giving back to their religious roots.Being a predominantly Christian tradition, whether it's Eastern or Western Christianity, many people take this time to give up any sort of food, alcohol or cussing because of failed New Year's resolutions, not for the 40 days of fasting and preparation.However, Lent is meant to give something back to others instead of taking personal sacrifices.Pope Benedict explained in his message for Lent 2010, that in year's past the alms giving part of the tradition has been lost.Fasters should concentrate on giving to charities and to their communities.This gives the opportunity to do an extrinsic, positive deed affecting others.This shouldn't affect those if their reason to give up 40 nights of hitting the bottle is to prove they aren't an alcoholic.Maybe for those 40 days the roads will be a bit safer.Even so, this is not a biblical concept.Preparing or fasting for your Savior is not measured by personal struggling for only an annual small period of time.Not being one of solid church standings, this selfish act that is intended to be anything but egotistical, appears to be a flawed to those not partaking for the "right" reasons.People's motives are selfish in everyday life.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

The Auburn Plainsman receives Best College Newspaper award

The Auburn Plainsman was named Best College Newspaper at the Best of South competition at the annual Southeastern Journalism Conference.Along with this regional honor, The Plainsman also received three other awards including Journalist of the Year, Best Web site and Best Press Photographer.Ellison Langford, news editor, placed ninth as Journalist of the Year.

The Auburn Plainsman
Opinion

Keep your crude comments to yourself

The Plainsman is an open forum.This means you as students, readers and individuals have the opportunity to voice your opinions on issues and make them heard to the Auburn community.We provide the paper for you to write on.This is a large responsibility, not only for the staff of 30 students, but also for you.You have the chance to speak your mind via letter to the editor, commenting on the Web site, writing an entertainment review, drawing comics, and of course, joining the staff and being able to write personal columns.I enjoy criticism.My skin toughens daily just by the position I have chosen to take.It's with critiques and criticism that we grow and learn from our mistakes.It's not from the venom of hatred and abundance of free time that we learn from others.Recently, there have been a growing number of misplaced comments on The Plainsman's Web site.I'm not referring to the ones slamming grammatical errors, quality or quantity of articles or even really the ones criticizing the writers.It is the immoral and lewd comments attacking other readers and individuals at this University with no basis that tempt the freedom of a forum for others.Racist comments are uncalled for on any level and for any reason.Especially when they are on an article dealing with a person being hit by a car and being sent to ICU.I'm still confused how racism is relevant here.Not to mention appropriate.The people commenting on how this publication is a failure also bewilders me.If you don't like it, tell me what to do to improve it.Better yet, show me.I am constantly amused by commenters saying they don't like this story or they don't like the paper.That room is for your opinion, yes, but use it to your advantage.Instead of bashing one of the sports guy's grammar (who is Dutch, by the way, and he was called a hick), offer some advice or guidance.You don't have to help, and I realize not everyone is a 'word cop,' but crudeness isn't always necessary on articles about clothing and basketball.With that space where you can publish almost whatever you want, write things that matter and put your name to it.In the pedestrian article, discuss the issues, not misguided assumptions.On an Avatar review, write why you didn't like it instead of death threats to the writer.This is not an opportunity for you to brag on your personal life either.If you have questions on how we deal with articles, ask me.If you don't like how we do something, tell me.If you think you can do better, show me.One way is with the Readership Survey to give us feedback on your thoughts on the paper.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Survey to Come Next Week

It's the start of a new semester and a new cycle here at the paper.There have been some new additions to the paper to better suit you as our readers.Most of the sections have new, themed pages to include more students, faculty and staff and to better focus our content on your needs.The Campus section has a Greek Page devoted to Auburn's greek life.While this is not a cheerleader page for sororities and fraternities, it is a place to focus on 30 percent of the Auburn population.Intrigue created a monthly fashion page alternating between both sexes and the season's latest trends.There is also an Arts and Entertainment page where the local scene's information can be found.Sports has a section focused on non-varsity sports relating to the Auburn community.This can include intramural, club sports, physical education classes and athletic activities around campus.These special sections are for our readers.That being said, we want your feedback, and we are making it easy for you to give it to us.You can always send us your letters to our office, call and talk to any of our reporters, e-mail any of your comments or submit them electronically on the Web site.You can also post commits to individual articles online and vote on our online poll.We enjoy all of your feedback because it helps us improve, to better serve you.In order for us to get a more in-depth understanding of your wants, there will be a survey going out next week via e-mail and our Web site.There will be questions relating to the physical newspaper and the Web site.Which one do you read more often: the weekly Thursday newspaper or the Web site?How would rank the navigation of the Web site?We also will be asking about our community and campus coverage and overall content.What other areas do you feel we could cover better?I want your opinion.With your input, we will be able to improve this newspaper by including more of what you want to read and see.We will also be able to use the results and input to add more features for your convenience.All this is so we can get the news to you in the best way possible.We are daily online with breaking news, videos, slide shows, digital copies of the paper and calendars of events.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Hello, Goodbye, See you Soon

This semester has come and gone and with that, we at the paper have had successes and room for improvement.There are a few staff members leaving that have been a true asset to this paper professionally and personally and will truly be missed on both levels.Julian, who has brought comic relief every time he graces the office with his less than punctual presence, has been behind the camera this semester.

The Auburn Plainsman
Opinion

Wall Street Journal Article on Auburn is Misleading and Biased

I'll be the first to admit I'm not the biggest fraternity supporter, and I don't drive around with a "Go Frat" sticker on my car.But, I do know the Wall Street Journal article degrading the Auburn male Greek system and Southern school traditions was disrespectful and, on most levels, wrong.Any current or former student and any enlightened guest knows the information was skewed and slanted.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Changes Needed with Cars, Pedestrians

There is a problem in Auburn that needs to be addressed. Whether it is with the citizens or the city, it needs to be dealt with regardless.Two pedestrians have been struck by vehicles within the past month.A librarian walking across College Street to the conference center at night and was struck by a truck.There was a student this past Friday that was struck by a SUV on Magnolia Avenue.There still seems to be some debate of whether she was in a crosswalk.Both were life-flighted to nearby hospitals.The problem does not lie within the jaywalking, but more so with the lack of lighting in these areas.Several residents have commented on the severe problem the lack of lighting from the latest accident has caused.Bouncers from the nearby bars have said they hear sirens every night.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

First Experience with Austin

I've spent the past couple of days exploring the intoxicating city of Austin, Texas.Seeing 1.5 million bats swarm from under the Congress bridge was intense, to say the least.The music scene is beyond anything I have experienced.Going out on the town, my eyes were opened to the liberal ways of a foreign town because of spending all of my life in Georgia and Alabama.It's not that I have been sheltered, it's just the way of life is a little more conservative in the Bible Belt.There is a law in Austin that says you can be topless at any time.

More articles »