Volunteer Fair Commemorates 9/11 by Helping Students Serve

President Barack Obama declared Sept. 11 the National Day of Service and Remembrance.

In honor of this day, the Office of University Outreach hosted a volunteer fair Sept. 11 from 10 a.m. until noon in the Student Center.

"University Outreach wants to present opportunities to students to take what they learn in school and apply it in the community," said Joyce Thomas-Vinson, who organized the event. "The nation is remembering by promoting service."

The Boys and Girls Club was at the fair. They serve the Lee county area and provide homework assistance, tutoring and youth development programs for children when they're not in school.

"We see anywhere from 150 to 250 kids on a typical school day and about 350 kids per day in the summer," said Yvonne Batts, unit director of the Boys and Girls Club.

The Boys and Girls Club focuses on five key areas in its programs: character and leadership; education and career; health and life skills, sports, fitness and recreation; and the arts.

"This past summer, 'Science, Math and Communication' was the focus of our program," Batts said.

The Club is looking for volunteers who can devote a few hours a week to the kids. The Boys and Girls Club has established partnerships with students from Auburn's psychology, education and athletic departments.

Reading is Fundamental was also present at the fair. The organization is a key service project of the Kiwanis Club.

RIF partners with Impact, Circle K and other groups at Auburn.

"We put books in the hands of kids," said Executive Director Cathy Gafford. "These kids are at risk."

The term "at risk" is federally defined and applies to children from low-income situations or those who have physical or mental special needs.

RIF is partnering with Kappa Kappa Gamma on Oct. 3 for the second annual "Run to Read" event.

Participants will choose from a one-mile walk at 8 a.m. or a 5K run at 8:30 a.m.

All registrants will be entered into a drawing for a one-week vacation in Sapphire Valley, N.C.

Spirit points will be awarded to all Auburn students who participate.

The AU Women's Gymnastics team, Aubie and Clifford the Big Red Dog are scheduled to attend the run.

Those interested in participating can register online at www.jeandeanrif.org.

Every year, RIF provides more than 75,000 quality, age-appropriate books to 25,000 at-risk young children, according to an RIF pamphlet.

RIF also has several upcoming events. Two "Warehouse Work Days" will be held on Oct. 10 and 24, followed by the Alabama Kiwanis statewide golf tournament at FarmLinks Oct. 29.

The Truel Watts Ride to Read Motorcycle Poker Run will take place June 12, 2010.

Share and discuss “Volunteer Fair Commemorates 9/11 by Helping Students Serve” on social media.