Jordan Dailey/ Assistant Campus Editor

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Agriculture Alumni Association Adds Members to Hall of Honor

The Auburn University Agriculture Alumni Association will induct three new members Feb. 23, 2010.The Hall of Honor/Pioneer Award gallery honors living Alabamians for the achievements in the agricultural sector."It's probably the greatest honor I've received as a member of Auburn's faculty," said William Hardy, former College of Agriculture dean for instruction and a professor in the Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology.Hardy will be honored alongside William Powell, executive director of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association, and Raymond Jones, Huntsville cattleman and businessman."I've said this a thousand times," Hardy said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Langdon Hall Gets Renovations

To some students, Langdon Hall's locked doors are a mystery."The auditorium is not currently in use and is not planned for use in the near future," said Jann Swaim, an Auburn Facilities Division administrator.The building's history extends back to the middle of the 19th century.Langdon was built in 1853 and rebuilt in 1883, said Boyd Childress, Ralph Brown Draughon Library's architecture specialist."Charles Langdon was an Alabama politician, mayor of Mobile, state legislator, secretary of state from 1885 to 1889 and an Auburn trustee for many years," Childress said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Beat Bama Food Drive Finishes 15th Program

The Iron Bowl is viewed by many as the biggest rivalry between Auburn and Alabama.But in the weeks preceding the yearly football match-up, another competition is going on.The Beat Bama Food Drive is in its 15th year as an annual installment with both universities."The drive supports the East Alabama Food Bank," said Jahnna Hall, SGA chief of staff.In the past 15 years of the competition, more than 1.5 million pounds of food for people across the state have been gathered, according to the Beat Bama Food Drive Web site."The purpose of the Beat Bama Food Drive is to reach out to the Auburn community and surrounding areas by providing them with nonperishable food items that will help them through the holiday season," said Millie Harrison, assistant director of the food drive.In last year's competition, Auburn lost to Alabama by 58,716 pounds of food."The food drive's goal this year was 250,000 pounds," Harrison said.But, as of Monday night, Auburn's collection bins weren't overflowing with donations."Currently, we have an estimated 44,000 pounds of food, which is way below our goal," Hall said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

'Sounds of Auburn' Fill Coliseum

Auburn's music department showcased the talents of its ensembles at the ninth annual Sounds of Auburn concert Thursday at the Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum."We present a sampling of the music that is performed by each of these ensembles throughout the year," said Sara Lynn Baird, professor and chair of the music department.The program began with a football game-style presentation from the marching band.The group, directed by Corey Spurlin, performed again later in the night."Certain audience members may be drawn to the concert by their familiarity with a specific ensemble," Spurlin said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

SGA Grants Provisional Status to Clubs

Members of SGA Senate met Monday night in the Student Center to pass bills granting provisional status to campus organizations.First up in old business were the H2Ostesses, a group supporting the water polo team.An organization seeking to promote Toms shoes on campus was denied provisional status.Auburn allows campus organizations to use the Auburn trademarks without charge.If the group was allowed provisional status on campus, Toms shoes would be able to use any Auburn trademarks without charge, a service for which the University charges.The senators also discussed if an organization promoting a business was granted provisional status, other business-specific organizations might begin seeking provisional status."The point was addressed that we might start getting requests for a J&M campus club, an Academy Sports campus club and other related groups," said SGA Vice President Sarah Molony.The Women's Rugby club was granted provisional status, as well as the Korean-American Student Association.Lastly, the Religion club, a group that seeks to discuss religion in an academic manner, was granted provisional status.The SGA Senators then moved to pass two bills categorized as new business.An organizations fund request was granted to the Indian Student Association for $499.The group wanted to use the money to print banners for public events.Last on the agenda was the appointment of a new senator to the College of Human Sciences.After passing the Senate's agenda, Molony gave announcements to the room, which was made up of senators and representatives from the organizations, and called the meeting to an end.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Students Vote on Favorite Pizza Recipes

Students got competitive in Tiger Dining's Pizza Creation Contest Taste-Off.Students submitted recipes of their choice to Tiger Dining's Web site during a three-week period."Executive Chef Emil Topel looked at all the entries and chose three top winners based on creativity," said Tiger Dining Marketing Director Gina Groome.The top three entries were David Ceniviva's philly cheesesteak pizza, Casey Lucas' greek pita pizza and Anthony DiBlasi's le zucchini fritte.These winners' creations were displayed in front of Mamma Leone's Thursday, where a crowd gathered for the final phase of the Taste-Off."Students were given the chance to sample all three and vote for their favorite winner," Groome said.The area in the Student Center was surrounded by students who came to taste the three pizzas."I liked the philly cheesesteak pizza," said Ye Been Lee, a student of Auburn's Intensive English Program.Some students came to support the chefs."I know one of the contestants, so I came out," said Heather Edell, sophomore in pre-nursing.After all the votes were tallied, DiBlasi's le zucchini fritte was the winner."The winner receives $100 in Dining Funds, and they will have their recipe featured at Mamma Leone's for students to purchase Nov.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

SGA Proposes Textbook Checkout

Textbooks may soon become more affordable for students.SGA and the Library Student Advisory Council are partnering to establish a textbook checkout program."The plan is to place the books on reserve so students can check a book out for a limited time," said Bonnie MacEwan, dean of Auburn University Libraries.

More articles »