Auburn University Dean of Nursing Retires after 11 Years

After 45 years as a nurse and 11 years as dean of the Auburn University School of Nursing, Barbara Witt is retiring.

Though revered by her peers and students at Auburn, Witt was also honored by the Alabama State Nurses Association, which named its 2009 convention after her.

"She will be dearly missed," said Joseph Decker, ASNA executive director. "I don't know how she stayed so active for so long. Organization is clearly one of her strong suits. She is a very efficient administrator and a very nice person to boot."

Witt earned a bachelor's and master's of science in nursing from the University of Connecticut, and a doctorate in education from Columbia University.

She served as chairman and associate/assistant professor of the Division of Nursing at the University of Hartford from 1987 to 1998, at which point she came to Auburn.

"I was very surprised when I received the letter informing me that they were going to name this year's convention for me," Witt said. "It was completely unexpected and was really overwhelming. My initial reaction was one of 'oh boy, this is too much,' but ultimately that resolved into a feeling of gratification."

Witt was first hired as dean of the Auburn University Montgomery School of Nursing, but assumed the same role one year later at Auburn University.

After being charged with consolidating the two programs, she served as administrator of the undergraduate and graduate programs for both.

According to Decker, her duties included "strategic planning, searches, budget formulation and execution, external relations, instructional programs, research, outreach and fundraising. In addition, Dr. Witt has authored numerous academic and research articles."

Witt is a member of Sigma Theta Tau, the national nursing honor society and

had the Iota Upsilon Chapter at the University of Connecticut's mentorship award named after her.

She was also given the University's Outstanding Alumni award in 2004 for her lasting contributions.

"Perhaps more importantly, her impeccable academic credentials notwithstanding, Dr. Witt has provided outstanding leadership and vision in the field of nursing education for many years," Decker said. "The impressive string of successes, expansions and improvements at both Auburn and AUM bear testament to her organizational skills, drive and determination."

The ASNA Convention was held on Thursday and Friday in Florence.

Gregg Newschwander, professor of nursing and dean of the School of Nursing at the University of Virginia's College at Wise, will replace Witt at both Auburn and Auburn Montgomery.

"I feel as if I'm coming to the end of my career," Newschwander said. "I've loved my job and my work, and at some level I'm sad to be leaving it. On the other hand, it is very reassuring and encouraging to know that people appreciate what I have done."

Share and discuss “Auburn University Dean of Nursing Retires after 11 Years” on social media.