New Security Technology Scans Behavior, Not Luggage

The next generation of homeland security may not require the customary X-ray scans or pat downs that have become commonplace in airports around the globe.

Instead, the new line of defense is aimed at spotting potential threats by targeting certain biological signals that may be given off by an individual who may be likely to commit an offense.

Although still in its developmental stages, the new equipment called "Future Attribute Screening Technology" is under investigation by the Department of Homeland Security for eventual use in airports.

"We know your body gives off certain physiological signs when you are planning on doing something 'bad,'" said John Verrico, science and technology spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security. "What we are trying to figure out is which combinations of these signals would be a potential warning sign."

These signals are recorded by sensors.

Biolidar, an eye-safe laser, reads heart rate and respiration, while an eye- tracking device measures pupil dilation.

Other sensors measure everything from skin temperature to the degree of restlessness a suspect displays.

This information is then fed into an algorithm, which creates an analysis for security personnel to scrutinize.

Paul Ekman, a consultant to the F.A.S.T. program, said he is still cautious about how much emphasis should be invested in this technology.

"Is it possible?" Ekman asked. "Yes, but is it feasible? I think probably not at this point in time."

Ekman, whose company is responsible for training behavioral detection officers for organizations like the FBI and the TSA, said he thinks that, in addition to this system, other areas of security should be improved.

"I think more should be done on the human front," Ekman said.

Even Verrico said as exciting and beneficial as this technology may sound, it will never replace the human element of security.

"What we are trying to do is provide the existing security personnel with additional information which isn't apparent to the naked eye," Verrico said.

Verrico described the test results as being "better than chance" at determining people with "bad" intentions.

However, some skeptics may need more to be convinced of the need for this experimental new technology.

"It's sort of like they don't know if it will be effective," said Lillie Coney, the assistant director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, a "watchdog" group on the frontline of protecting consumer privacy. "We do know that it is costing the taxpayer money though."

The cost of the project, which is reported to have exceeded $20 million already, isn't the only reason for concern, Coney said.

"It poses some privacy issues because it is the collection of information without consent," Coney said.

While researchers maintain the system is not designed to retain information at this point, civil libertarians, such as Coney, are concerned that this could change at any point.

"Right now they say that they don't retain data, but that is just a matter of policy," Coney said. "The problem is that policy could change at any time. It needs to be a matter of law that they will not be allowed to retain data they have collected using this system without consent."

Coney said she thinks this poses a problem.

"It is very serious," Coney said. "Believe me, you don't want your name in any kind of government database of any kind for being a potential threat."

This system is not designed to infringe on personal privacy. It is less invasive than current security methods and will reduce the number of people taken in for secondary screening, Verrico said.

"We want to get to a point where we give Americans back the freedoms they had before 9/11," Verrico said.

Share and discuss “New Security Technology Scans Behavior, Not Luggage” on social media.