Speaker Discusses Importance of Engineers

If one were to try to name the most influential policy makers in this country, congressmen, CEOs and special interest groups might come to mind.

However, according to William Wolf, former president of the National Academy of Engineering, scientists and engineers are a large part of the passing of local and national legislation.

Wolf presented "Responsible Citizenship in a Technological Society" in Broun Hall last Thursday as part of the Samuel Ginn Distinguished Lecture Series.

"For 11 years I sat right at the nexus of science, technology and policy," Wolf said. "The real question that lawmaking bodies ask when faced with any issue involving technology is 'can we fix it?' That's where engineers come in."

Wolf cited an instance when Congress consulted him and the academy about an energy bill.

Before the legislation was finalized and sent to the floor, he was asked if the CAFE standards, the measurements determining the threshold of gas mileage in cars, could be raised while using less gasoline.

Wolf and the Academy said this was feasible, and the bill was signed into law.

"After that, the automakers were not big fans of ours," Wolf said. "They accused us of violating the laws of physics, among other things. What we were saying was the truth, though, and we were able to provide 40 technologies to help raise that standard."

Though part of the presentation focused on the unsung power held by technological authorities, the major point Wolf made was that normal citizens should make themselves more aware of these issues and their scientific influences.

"The vast majority of Americans don't know enough about science and technology to make informed decisions when voting," Wolf said. "What does it mean when a country calls itself a democracy and its people can't discuss one-third to half of the policy issues that legislators are discussing?"

Wolf said our society should strive for two changes in this area.

First, we should try to proactively involve more engineers in the process. Second, we should educate the broader population on these issues and their implications.

Several of the attendees were struck by the scope of this goal and the authority Wolf brought to his presentation.

"The presentation was thought-provoking and Wolf made a good point that engineers need to take a bigger role in the formation of policy," said David Elton, a geotechnical engineering professor. "He made a good point in saying that most people don't know how technology influences policy and gave good examples to prove it."

Wolf's long list of international honors was listed to give credibility to his claims. The scope and preciseness of his goals were also admired among the faculty present.

"He's obviously very smart and well organized," Elton said. "Because of his work with the national institution he had a much longer view and, therefore, a wealth of knowledge on the subject. He had a lot to offer the members of the engineering department in the audience."

Share and discuss “Speaker Discusses Importance of Engineers” on social media.