Our View: Insurance Benefits Must Be Extended to Same-sex Couples

When we heard the Universities of Alabama at Birmingham and Huntsville were extending insurance benefits to homosexual members of their faculties, we became excited and filled with hope.

Finally, we are beginning to see equal recognition of same-sex couples even here in Alabama, the buckle of the Bible Belt.

Sadly, we live in a state where colleges and universities have to take initiative on issues like this, as we all know full well the state of Alabama would not likely endorse such policies if left to its own devices.

In fact, UAB and UAH are among the only universities within the state that offer such benefits.

The main campus of the University of Alabama is currently studying adopting such a policy.

Auburn, on the other hand, appears to be happy to stand pat on this particular issue, as it does not seem to be a priority concern to the powers that be here.

Are we actually letting Alabama get ahead of us on something? As members of the Auburn family, should this even be allowed?

The language within the UAB and UAH policy changes are a point of interest, as benefits are now extended to anyone who "shares a primary residence, not as a renter, tenant or employee, with the covered UAB employee, and has lived with UAB employee at least 12 months prior to effective date of coverage, is at least 19 years old, the age of majority in Alabama, is not a relative and is not married."

We see a broad spectrum of people who could fit the vague description offered by that cryptic, unintelligible legalese.

Honestly, we find it sad this is the sort of language that has to be inserted in order to grant same-sex couples the same rights and benefits their heterosexual counterparts get.

But, again, we live in Alabama.

We can look at the actions taken by UAB and UAH as a sign of what is to come: a more progressive, more open and more caring Alabama.

We long for a day when equality is a concept everyone can enjoy.

It may not come quickly, and it may meet some fierce resistance along the way, but we know this cause is right.

Share and discuss “Our View: Insurance Benefits Must Be Extended to Same-sex Couples” on social media.