Science Majors Put on Halloween Scare for Kids

STEM knows how to BOO-gie.

STEM or "Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics," hosted a Halloween Masquerade Benefit at Greystone Mansion to raise money for the Boys and Girls Club of Lee County.

Greystone Mansion was decked out with spider webs, lights and eyeballs in the punch.

"Aside from the fantastic decorations and Halloween goodies at the party, the dance-off competition was my favorite part of the masquerade," said Katie Lushington, publicity chair of Society of Women Engineers. "Contestants pulled out their best dance moves to compete for a prize."

SWE initiated and organized the entire event with help from other organizations in the College of Engineering and the College of Sciences and Mathematics, including Association of Women in Science and American Institute of Chemical Engineers.

"STEM Scaring for Kids raised a total of $1,534.72 for the Boys and Girls Club, exceeding our original goal of $1,000," said Ellen Clark, president of SWE and senior in engineering. "We sold all but four T-shirts and had 43 attendees at the event. It was a great success."

AWIS was one of the organizations that helped SWE plan and host the masquerade.

"AWIS was in charge of designing and selling T-shirts for the event," said Emily Simpson, president of AWIS. "We also helped advertise the event using Facebook and hosting Concourse days."

WEGL provided the DJ and did a live broadcast of the event.

A costume contest and dance-off were decided by crowd vote.

"My favorite part of the masquerade were the creative costumes and the music," Clark said. "A Rubix Cube won the costume contest and Traveler did a fabulous job DJ-ing and played a real 'funky groove' for the dance competition that everyone seemed to enjoy."

SWE will plan more outreach events for the spring semester and they plan to invite the Boy and Girls Club to attend.

Share and discuss “Science Majors Put on Halloween Scare for Kids” on social media.