Brittany Cosby / Campus Editor

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Shelby, Coliseum Still on Schedule to Open Late 2010

With the semester winding down, construction is moving full speed ahead on the new basketball arena and phase II of the Shelby Center construction.The new arena will have an approximate capacity of 9,600 fans and will include more than 29,000 square feet of space with features including a two-court practice facility, coaches offices, the Auburn University Athletic Ticket Office, an AU Team Store and two food courts."Some of the new features the project will have are a dedicated weight room, separate men's and women's training rooms, 12 tailgate suites, the relocated new and interactive Lovelace Hall of Honor, on-site food prep facility and meeting/conference space for after hours functions," said Brain Hale, project manager for Robins & Morton and construction manager for the project.The Lovelace Hall of Honor will open up with the arena and will be a showplace highlighting the history, accomplishments and current happenings in all the Auburn sports programs.Randy Byars, project coordinator for the Auburn Arena and director of Athletic Facilities, said the project is contracted to be completed in July 2010.He said they are currently ahead of schedule and the arena is approximately 82 percent complete.The seating configuration will offer better sight lines for fans and move them closer to the court, Byars said.The furthest seat will be 43 feet in elevation from courtside compared to 60 feet away at Beard-Eaves."The new arena is radically different from Beard-Eaves," Byars said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Reel Review: Twilight 'New Moon'

One film has been buzzed about more than any showing in theaters this holiday season. Of course I am talking about "New Moon."Let me start off by saying that I am not a Twilight fan, so this is not a review about how much I love Edward Cullen or Jacob Black or how I have seen it three times already.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Auburn Students Compete in Costume Contest During Screening of 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince'.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.At least that was the case Tuesday night when Harry Potter fans dressed like their favorite characters to attend the screening of the year six film, "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince."In this installment, Voldemort has returned in full force while Harry, Ron and Hermione return to new troubles at Hogwarts.Harry begins taking private lessons from Dumbledore, while Ron dabbles in a new relationship creating a rift with Hermione.Harry becomes suspicious of his school rival, Draco Malfoy, who Harry believes is up to something with the help of Snape."I have been a fan since the beginning of the novel and film series," said Mitchell Kilpatrick, sophomore in social science secondary education and costume constest winner.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Farewell Auburn Plainsman, I Did My Best

Though my time on The Plainsman staff was short lived, I felt it was only right to leave my legacy to the ones I leave behind.To the fall 2009 Plainsman staff, I leave safety walks to Moe's, "We do our best," Chick-fil-A in the Student Center, the candy drawer, e-board ramblings, late pagination days, laps around the office and the Diabeetus.To the Campus section, I leave the section fronts, filling space, writing for the front on Wednesday, the Scoop, story ideas and meeting deadline.To Ellison Langford, I leave Story Idea Wednesdays, drowning ourselves in queso, Chef's Table, Degrassi: The Next Generation, So You Think You Can Dance Tour, The Office recaps, walking around without shoes, sneaking off to Cold Stone for ice cream, sleepovers in Atlanta, Plainsman talks, good and bad photo discussions and breaking news.To Professor Judith Sheppard, I leave your insight into the journalism profession, nailing me on A.P.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Science Majors Put on Halloween Scare for Kids

STEM knows how to BOO-gie.STEM or "Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics," hosted a Halloween Masquerade Benefit at Greystone Mansion to raise money for the Boys and Girls Club of Lee County.Greystone Mansion was decked out with spider webs, lights and eyeballs in the punch."Aside from the fantastic decorations and Halloween goodies at the party, the dance-off competition was my favorite part of the masquerade," said Katie Lushington, publicity chair of Society of Women Engineers.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Reel Review: Saw VI

Want to play a game?It's that time of year again. If it's Halloween, it must be Saw.The next installment of the Saw series has returned with plenty of blood, spilled guts and games.If you love the Saw franchise, this film is a must-see.

More articles »