UPC Haunts Halloween Carnival

Pirates, donkeys, lady bugs, poodle girls, Snow White and the king of spades were all at University Program Council's Halloween carnival last Thursday.

It was a beautiful afternoon for the event lasting from 4:30 p.m. until 6 p.m. on Cater Lawn despite earlier chances of rain.

Sharne Rice, president of UPC, said they expected approximately 100 to 150 people this year.

"We have put on the carnival for over five years," Rice said. "We have some new booths this year, but the idea was the same."

UPC set up decorative booths with black and orange tablecloths on the lawn with an activity at each for the children.

Some of the booths included making ghost lollipops by tying a white piece of cloth around the top of the lollipop then adding eyes and a mouth, face painting, football toss and a medical station, where children could get fake boo-boos with bandages and pretend blood, a hairspray station where children could try out new hair colors for the day and a mask making station.

Ashley Bowling, junior in public relations, was in charge of the duck pond booth. The ducks had numbers on them for kids to pick up.

"Children get a chance to win candy and toys," Bowling said.

Julianne Willis, junior in biomedical sciences and the director of the carnival, said they had snacks and prizes for the children as well.

There was also a costume contest in which participants stood under an arch on the lawn while their costumes were judged. The winners got to take home a basket filled with Halloween treats as well.

Erin Hartsfield and Laura Beth Young, both seniors in biomedical sciences, brought their Project Uplift children, dressed as a lady bug and a donkey, to the carnival to enjoy a fun afternoon.

Hartsfield said the children enjoyed the face painting, hairspray booth and pumpkin painting.

"They had a fun time running around from the different booths," Hartsfield said.

Young said the children enjoyed playing with the fake brains and worms some of the UPC members created from spaghetti noodles and Jell-O, as well as the fake eye balls made from grapes and Jell-O.

"They got to stick their hands in it and play with it," Young said. "They thought that was really cool. There was a wizard dressed up to show it all to them."

Young also said it was a special afternoon for the children because some of the Project Uplift children don't get to always go out and participate in Halloween-themed activities.

"It was a safe place for them to have fun and see other kids while being dressed up," Young said.

Even though UPC members had fun getting dressed up for the carnival, Willis said the main purpose was to give children around the city a fun event.

"We usually have more kids than students," Willis said. "Kids in the community can come out, and it's a way to give back to the community, parents and kids because they give so much to the University."

Share and discuss “UPC Haunts Halloween Carnival” on social media.