Men's Basketball Gets First SEC Win Against LSU

Auburn senior center Brendon Knox (30) tips the ball over LSU sophomore guard Garrett Green (3) on Jan. 20 during Auburn's 84-80 win against LSU in the PMAC in Baton Rouge, La.

The Auburn Tigers stepped up to defeat the LSU Tigers 84-80, giving Auburn its first SEC win.

Along with senior guard DeWayne Reed's 21 points and sophomore guard Frankie Sullivans's 15 points, senior forward Lucas Hargrove, senior guard Tay Waller and senior center Brendon Knox all broke double figures in Baton Rouge, La.

"It keeps the defense thrown off," Sullivan said. "You have to keep changing the defense and you don't know who to guard. It really helps us out a lot and hopefully we can continue that in the future."

Sullivan made a crucial 3-point shot with 1:10 left in the second half, which clenched the win over LSU.

"My teammates depended on me, and Reed passed the ball to me and trusted me so I had to knock the shot down for them," Sullivan said. "My confidence is really going up like it was last year going into the SEC and the team's confidence is coming up well and it showed tonight."

Head coach Jeff Lebo hopes they can keep up the momentum as his Tigers face three dominant SEC teams next.

"There's no easy place to play in this league, and to get a win here tonight gives us some confidence," Lebo said.

Trent Johnson, LSU head coach, and his Tigers were also looking for their first SEC victory.

"They are a hard guard and matchup for us because they stretch us on the perimeter, and they are really skilled," Johnson said. "While you look at Reed, Waller and Sullivan, and Auburn's points at the half, I look at the times we gave them an extra possession."

Auburn hits the road again to take on Vanderbilt (14-3, 3-0) Saturday at 12:30 p.m. The Tigers then return to Beard-Eaves-Coliseum to face Ole Miss Jan. 28 at 8 p.m. and Alabama Jan. 30 at 3 p.m.

Share and discuss “Men's Basketball Gets First SEC Win Against LSU” on social media.