Students Find Different Methods to Stay Active

The new year brings new resolutions, including vows to eat healthier or to work out more, but some students have taken physical activity to a whole new level in 2010.

Nerf sword fighting is one option for creatively burning calories.

"(We get exercise) because we are kicking in doors and running through buildings," said Josh Jinright, sophomore in polymer and fiber engineering. "There's a lot of standing around, but there's also a lot of running. If you look around the corner and hear that click of a gun, you're diving."

The game consists of rules that make it more realistic, Jinright said, so one head shot plus two chest shots disqualifies a player. If a limb is hit, that limb is lost.

"This is not about anger," Jinright said, "(but) merely a fun way to get out and have some swashbuckling fun."

Jinright said he and his fraternity brothers started playing Nerf wars in early 2009 and have been recruiting by word-of-mouth since then.

"The wars have been spreading, and there have been more and more people getting involved every time," Jinright said.

As many as 20 people have shown up on campus to engage in Nerf sword fighting, Jinright said.

"We arrange to get together to have small wars and shoot each other for a bit," Jinright said.

Nerf sword fighting has a Facebook group called "Nerf Sword Fights on Campus" for anyone interested in getting involved.

Minus the colorful foam swords, Parkour offers another avenue for staying in shape.

A French term, Parkour engages the mind and body to overcome any obstacle using the fastest, most efficient way possible, Jinright said.

"The main idea is that there's a table or something in front of me, and I have to figure out the most efficient way to get over it," Jinright said.

Eric Ingram, senior in electrical computer engineering and president of the Parkour Club, said he has been involved in Parkour around Auburn for almost three years.

This extreme sport requires both physical strength and mental concentration, Ingram said.

"You need a mind ready to do anything," Ingram said. "Some people see an eight-foot wall, but we see an obstacle we want to get over."

Parkour Club members are given the privilege of having free run of campus, Jinright said.

"We talked to school (officials) ahead of time," Jinright said, "and we don't do anything stupid like jumping off the top of the Haley Center."

Ingram said the key to Parkour is starting out with small moves and gradually working up to bigger ones.

"We aren't thrill seekers, and we don't try to go against law enforcement or do anything too flashy or dangerous," Ingram said. "We like to keep it low and moderate, especially at first."

Jinright agreed with Ingram and said they concentrate more on getting to know one's self and capabilities.

"When you're first learning, it's all about technique," Jinright said, "so it's finding your inner flow when you're running and getting the movements going."

In addition to these inventive twists on physical activity, students find opportunities for traditional exercise on campus.

"Students can take anything from golfing to scuba," said Lindsey Schreiber, doctoral student and physical education instructor in kinesiology. "However, if they don't have time to go to the gym and aren't in a physical education class, (they should) go out for a 30-minute jog or play some basketball."

Shikanda Khasiani, freshman in chemical engineering, said she enjoys basic workouts.

"I like the feel-good feeling when you get the sweat out during exercise, and I like to stay healthy," Khasiani said. "I find that physical activity is relaxing, in a weird way."

Share and discuss “Students Find Different Methods to Stay Active” on social media.