8 sign NLIs to Auburn soccer

The Auburn Soccer team received eight National Letters of Intent Feb. 3, the first day of signing period.

"The 2010 recruiting process was great for us," said head coach Karen Hoppa. "We were able to sign our first California players and we signed four from that state. Many of the college soccer bloggers have our class ranked in the nation's top ten."

Auburn signed forward Tori Ball (Mobile/St. Paul's Episcopal), defender/midfielder Ali Elliott (Corona, Calif./Eleanor Roosevelt), goalkeeper Chandler Hillen (Oceanside,

Calif./Carlsbad), midfielder Ashley Kotero (Coro De Caza, Calif./Santa Margarita Catholic), defender Jordan Miller (Snellville, Ga./Brookwood), forward/midfielder Tasha Prentice (Flourtown, Pa./William Penn Charter), defender Bianca Sierra (Livermore, Calif./Granada) and forward Kim Spence (Lilburn. Ga./ Parkview).

"For this class we felt it was important to fill each position," Hoppa said. "Graduating six seniors, we needed depth in every position from our recruiting class, and clearly we accomplished that goal."

Auburn graduates defender Lizzie Hamersly, forwards Stephanie Fransoso, Becca

Howell and Caitlin King and midfielders Jenni Prescott and Chelsea Yauch.

"What excites me most is the balance and potential of this class," said sophomore midfielder Katy Frierson. "We're getting some of the best athletes and players out of the country in every position. They all will be capable of making an immediate impact. A few of the girls have even had international experience representing their countries national teams. And because of these opportunities they will be very savvy and mature players."

Each of the signees currently play on elite club soccer teams and in addition, Kotero and Sierra played on the Mexican National team and Prentice played on the Trinidad and Tobago National team.

Miller and Spence have the advantage of playing together on their club team, GSA Pheonix Red 92, outside Atlanta.

"We really do our homework on the players we recruit because character is more important than their soccer ability," Hoppa said. "We talk to their club coaches; we watch them play and how they interact with their own team as well as opponents; and we really get to know the recruits and their families. Also, our players will give us feedback on the recruits' character after their visits." During the recruiting process, current players host the recruits and give them a sense of what Auburn student life is like.

"(The recruits) usually come and stay with the freshman in the dorms for a couple days and we really try to provide them with a great experience," Frierson said. "Our coaching staff, facilities and study hall setup are all so appealing to the recruits, our job is very easy as players (during the process)."

Junior midfielder Monica Afandor said she tries to recreate her recruiting experience and show the recruits the "Auburn sense of family" that drew her here.

"Our team chemistry is great so for a prospective student-athlete to come spend time on campus with our players really gives her a positive experience and feel for Auburn," Hoppa said. "Our players do a great job of showing the recruits what it's like to be an Auburn Tiger."

Hoppa said recruiting coordinator Amy Berbary and assistant coach Keidane McAlpine played a large role in the recruiting process, spending a lot of time on the road and on the phone with the recruits and their families.

"I am excited that we have girls coming from all over the country and not just the southeast," Afandor said. "We have four girls coming from California and one from Pennsylvania, so I'm excited to see what their style of play brings to our team."

Share and discuss “8 sign NLIs to Auburn soccer” on social media.