Auburn schools rank 38th, 41st in toxin study

A USA Today Special Report published in 2007 on toxic air surrounding America's schools listed four local Auburn city schools in as low as the 38th percentile of national rankings.

The report, titled "The Smokestack Effect," used a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency model and the help of University of Massachusetts at Amherst's Political Economy Research Institute to determine the air quality surrounding specific schools.

Andrea Folmar, assistant principal of Auburn Early Education Center, was surprised to find her school listed in the 41st percentile. Folmar also said she was not aware of the study

"When I look at the weather channel, (Auburn's) air quality seems to be fine," Folmar said.

Following the path of industrial pollution, USA Today generated a map of nearly 128,000 schools listing approximate levels of toxic chemicals found in the air based on 2005 emissions reports.

Although members of the EPA were involved in this study, there is still questions concerning the methodology of USA Today's study.

Dawn Harris, external affairs with the EPA, was not supportive of USA Today's results.

"That article didn't take many different factors into consideration," Harris said. "Such as if (the school or industry) is existing."

The Opelika Facility of Westpoint Home was listed as one main polluter responsible for toxic chemicals in Auburn schools' air.

However, this facility hasn't had industrial plants operating for the past two to three years when the study was conducted.

Interface Flooring System Inc. of LaGrange, Ga., was also listed as a main pollutant contributor for Auburn schools. However, the information the study provided regarding the facility may have been false, said Wendy Porter, director of environmental management for IFS.

Porter said this is because USA Today made assumptions about factors like wind conditions.

Porter said the emissions information that was used was not current and that the corrected data is now available to the public on EPA's Web site.

Other factories listed were Duracell of LaGrange, Ga., Intermet of Columbus, Ga., and Norbond of Lanett.

In the article's methodology description, USA Today acknowledges some schools may have closed since the 2005 reports, but suggests that the information was used to create a more comprehensive study using what was most obtainable.

Although this may create a more thorough examination, Harris said he does not think USA Today's methodology took other factors of emissions into consideration, such as automobiles.

"The study doesn't take into consideration if the school is near a highway," Harris said.

With Auburn Early Education Center listed in the 41st percentile of the EPA's National Rank, only approximately 52,000 of the almost 128,000 schools have worse air quality.

Folmar said she is not worried about these statistics.

"It doesn't sound good," Folmar said. "I'm not sure if there's been anything done to fix it or not. I think Auburn does everything to keep our kids safe."

Folmar said she is concerned about automobile emissions, which USA Today did not address.

The EPA is launching a new study of air emissions surrounding schools. For the next six months, 63 schools in 22 states, including four in Alabama, will be monitored.

Harris said this was the beginning of a detailed study, which in the future may include more schools depending on the results.

Share and discuss “Auburn schools rank 38th, 41st in toxin study” on social media.