Oh, the horror!

It's supposed to be a day of warm fuzzies, flowers, chocolates, oversized stuffed teddy bears and romance.

Valentine's Day: some dread it, some anxiously await its arrival, counting down the days on a Cupid-covered calendar.

But, for some, it's not always heart-shaped doilies and happiness. "I made my ex-boyfriend cry on Valentine's Day," said Chelsea Anheuser, senior in marketing. "I broke up with him in the food court at the mall."

Anheuser said she wanted to have a romantic day with her ex, whom she had been dating for two months.

"He took me to the food court for dinner, and then he gave me one flower and a 'My Little Pony' valentine that was probably made for kindergartners," Anheuser said. "I was expecting more."

Lyndsey Jordan, senior in communications, also broke up with her ex-boyfriend on Valentine's Day.

Jordan said she had been dating her ex for five months before Valentine's Day arrived.

"It was a big let down," Jordan said. "I envisioned the whole girly thing with a romantic dinner and chocolates. Instead I got a necklace made of barbed wire."

Jordan, who described her style as feminine and flirty, said she knew things weren't going to work out after that.

The experiences get worse.

Grace Socha, sophomore in health promotion, said when she was a junior in high school, she had a Valentine's Day date from hell with a guitar player. I was casually dating a very cute smart guy," Socha said. "He was a guitar player, the kind that was sensitive and interesting. When he asked me on a date for Valentine's Day, I thought maybe he wanted to make things official between us." Socha said the date didn't start well. "I had to pick him up because he forgot to put gas in his car," Socha said. "When we got to the restaurant, he asked me not to order an appetizer if I was going to want dessert."

The date did not improve, Socha said.

"I thought it might get better," Socha said. "I thought he might take me ice skating in the park or to a romantic movie." She wasn't so lucky. "Instead, he asked me to take him home because a friend had challenged him to a game of 'Halo,'" Socha said.

On the ride home, Socha said her date insisted on playing obnoxious Madonna remixes.

"He was dancing like a fool, singing along and waving at people as we passed them on the highway," she said. "As we were pulling into his driveway, he was trying to impress me with a grand finale. He whipped a rose out of his jacket pocket, and, in the move, nailed my nose with his elbow."

Socha said she was stunned for a moment as he apologized profusely for the whack in the face.

"Then it started gushing," she said. "It bled all over my face and hands because I was desperately trying to save my white shirt. On top that, he said he was squeamish and had to get out of the car. He told me he would get me some paper towels from inside his house, but he never came back outside."

Socha said that was the last time she saw the sensitive guitarist.

Anheuser, Jordan and Socha all said they expect better experiences Feb. 14.

But, Anheuser said she will always prepare herself for the disaster that can strike on Valentine's Day.

"You never know what could happen," Anheuser said. "I just hope Cupid is kind to me."

Share and discuss “Oh, the horror!” on social media.