Toomer's bricks buy education

Bricks from Toomer's Corner have turned into scholarship money for students.

The Auburn Alumni association is selling the bricks for $100. All of the proceeds from the brick sales go toward scholarships for students. In seven months, more than $100,000 for scholarships has been earned through brick sales, said Toni Littleton-Rich of the Auburn

Alumni Association. Toomer's Corner was rebricked last year to prolong the life of the trees for at least 15 more years. While re-bricking, the idea developed, LittletonRich said.

"Two students walked by the construction site and took a brick each," Littleton-Rich said. "One student said, 'I have a piece of Toomer's Corner.' The other said, 'I'm selling mine on eBay.'"

After seeing the interest, Littleton-Rich said the bricks were brought to the Alumni Center, so they could be sold to benefit Auburn's student scholarships.

"We have all sorts of customers," Littleton-Rich said. "Most are parents of students or alumni."

Daniel Horn, graduate student in chemical engineering, said his family purchased a brick for his grandmother.

"She is such a fan and gets so into games that she has to take her blood pressure medication before watching an Auburn football game," Horn said.

Horn said his family had several Auburn graduates, and his family wanted to get one since she had been a fan for so long.

Littleton-Rich said most costumers are aware the money goes toward scholarship money.

"It makes them feel better knowing that the $100 is going towards scholarships," Littleton Rich said.

Horn said because the bricks are in limited number, carry sentimental value and come from the most famous set of trees in the Southeast, so they are worth the price.

"I believe I read that it goes towards Auburn Alumni scholarships which also make the $100 worth it," Horn said. "You are basically giving back to Auburn by buying a brick."

Meredith said she hopes the Alumni Association will be more forward about which scholarships students can apply for to receive proceeds from the sales of the bricks.

The price tag does not just include the brick. The bricks have a plate on the front with an illustration of Toomer's Corner to ensure they are genuine. The bricks can be purchased online at the Alumni Association's Web site.

The Alumni Association Web site is www.auburn.alumni.edu.

Share and discuss “Toomer's bricks buy education” on social media.