Bethany Donaldson / WRITER

News

Waverly Dons Its Dancin' Shoes

Blue grass music twanged through the trees, and cars lined the road. Just off Highway 280 citizens of Lee County hiked with lawn chairs to the 10th annual 280 Boogie Saturday.Those opting to skip out on Auburn's A-Day football game enjoyed a day of music featuring The Uncle Roy Show, Mace Glasscock, Spoonful James and more.Attendees were welcomed to the event by the aroma of burgers and chicken hot off the grill.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Bathing Suits, Bikes, Blisters

The Auburn Triathletes placed 22nd Saturday after battling inclement weather at the National Triathlon Meet at Buffalo Springs Lake in Lubbock, Texas.This was the third year the triathletes competed in the Collegiate National Championship.The race consisted of a 10-kilometer run, a 25-mile bike and a 750-meter swim."This was my second triathlon ever," said Robert Bedsole, graduate student in mechanical engineering.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Date Night Dinner Etiquette

With pocketbooks tightening, cooking has become a popular date option for men to keep their ladies happy.Michael Wooten, junior in computer engineering, said he enjoys cooking for his girlfriend at home because it makes for a nutritious meal and saves money."We cook about twice a month," Wooten said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Recession Revitalizes Computer Science and Software Engineering

While other programs at colleges across the nation have seen a decline in the past two years, computer science programs have seen a 14 percent increase nation-wide.Richard Chapman, professor in computer science, said enrollment in computer science programs generally follows patterns of the economy, and Auburn is on the high end of the curve."When people see opportunity in a field, they flock to it," Chapman said.Barrett Hoover, junior in mechanical engineering, said he chose engineering because he sees the need for engineers."Engineering applies to every part of our lives now," Hoover said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Senator Introduces Bill Blocking Health Care Legislation

A bill that would block the the new health care legislation was introduced by Sen. Scott Beason in the Alabama senate.Brian Hardin, a lobbyist for Alabama Farmers Federation, said the bill says the government cannot obligate citizens to participate in a particular health care plan."We're in monitoring mode," Hardin said. "We haven't taken a stand yet. Our concern is about the farmers we represent who are in rural areas."

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Watch shows in 'record' speed

Missing a favorite television show is not a problem today thanks to DVRs or digital video recorders.Britney Kelley, senior in psychology, said she uses her DVR everyday."My favorite thing about DVR is that my life doesn't have to stop just so I don't miss my favorite TV show," Kelley said.

More articles »