CMA Festival Ready to Rock On Again

Country music fans now can buy tickets online for the 39th Annual Country Music Festival in Nashville.

Held June 10-13, 2010, at LP Field and Riverfront Park, the CMA Festival brings various country music artists, fans and families downtown to mingle and enjoy the southern ambience.

"The festival provides lots of music and lots of camaraderie," said Dawn Fisher, communications coordinator of the CMA festival. "Some people renew tickets every year, sit together and build friendships."

This year, the festival features artists including Jason Aldean, Lady Antebellum, Martina McBride, Reba McEntire, Brad Paisley, Rascal Flatts, Darius Rucker, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban, the Zac Brown Band and others yet to be determined, according to cmafest.com

"Lots of people like to go out on Broadway after the concerts finish each night," Fisher said.

Will Logan, junior in biomedical sciences, said he returned from a trip to Nashville last weekend and enjoyed the nightlife on Broadway and 2nd avenues.

"I like to go to the bars at night or go to see the country attractions in the daytime," Logan said.

Logan said he decided to travel to Nashville on a whim last weekend and plans to go back soon.

"At this point the festival pretty much takes over downtown," Fisher said. "We had an average of 56,000 attendees last year and are expecting more this year."

From 9 a.m. until 11 p.m. each day, people can attend free performances in Riverview Park during the day or buy tickets--starting at $30 for single-day passes available in April or $110 for four day passes available now--to see well-known artists perform at night, Fisher said.

Half of the proceeds from the festival distribute among charitable organizations associated with the Country Music Association.

"Typically, when public schools' finances get cut, the music programs are one of the first things to go," Fisher said.

That is why CMA started the "Keep the Music Playing" campaign in 2006, which provides funds gathered at the festival to benefit music programs in public schools.

Last year's festival generated more than $1 million to give to the 75,000 students who attend Nashville public schools, according to the CMA press Web site.

Since its beginning in 1972, the CMA Festival has grown from about 2,000 participants and has relocated from the municipal auditorium to the fair grounds to the LP Field.

"Back then, artists were signing autographs in barns, so it has really grown, developed and improved over the years," Fisher said.

Since then, CMA has worked to provide more attractions and activities in the days leading up to the concerts, Fisher said.

Also held in the summer, the CMA Awards offers country music fans another opportunity to see their favorite artists.

Molly Collins, senior at Auburn High School, said she attended the CMA Awards in Nashville last summer.

"It was a lot of fun, and it was different because so many artists, like Brad Paisley, Darius Rucker, Lady Antebellum, Jason Aldean and Kelly Pickler, were there in one place," Collins said.

In addition to live performances during the festival, people can visit the Fan Fair Exhibit Hall to get autographs and pictures with country music stars.

"Last year Taylor Swift stayed for hours to sign autographs," Fisher said. "It's a chance for fans to get in line and meet their favorite artists, get autographs and talk for a few minutes."

People who attend CMA events have one thing in common, Fisher said.

"Everybody is here because they love country music, and everyone gets together to celebrate-- both the artists and the fans," Fisher said.

Share and discuss “CMA Festival Ready to Rock On Again” on social media.