Council looks at open-container law

The Magnolia Avenue Roadway Lighting Project and further discussion concerning alcohol consumption on city property were approved at Tuesday's City Council meeting.

Twenty light poles will be installed along the south of Magnolia Avenue by June.

The University is also interested in aligning sidewalks and staircases with crosswalks and installing more signs to direct pedestrians toward crosswalks in an attempt to encourage pedestrian safety.

The city is waiting to see if jaywalking continues after these measures are implemented before taking further action.

Council member Sheila Eckman brought up allowing special events permits which would allow people to walk around with wine for specific events.

Wine would be the only form of alcohol permitted. Roads would be closed off for these events and police would be present.

Two council members, Bob Norman and Arthur Dowdell, voiced their concerns that permitting the consumption of alcohol for a few specific events might later be expanded to include more events.

Auburn was recognized by the Arbor Day Foundation as a "Tree City USA Community." Auburn has received this award for the last 26 years.

David Trouse returned to address the issue of Auburn High School students parking off campus in residential areas.

Mayor Bill Ham said when construction is complete there will be 50 spots available for students.

Furthermore, the Cemetery Advisory Board has agreed to move its property line 10 feet, which would make room for 50 more parking spots.

Ham said the spots should be available by the beginning of the next school year.

An administrative secretary for the Public Works Department, Audrea Maye, was recognized as the Employee of the Month for March.

Her nomination letter described her work ethic, vast knowledge of aspects of the various city departments and her eagerness to serve citizens and take on new tasks.

Randy Armstrong received a pin and plaque for his 20 years of service within the police division of the Public Safety Department.

Lorenza Pendleton also received a pin and plaque for his 20 years of service in the sewer maintenance division of the Water Resource Management Department.

Joseph Morris was honored for his 15 years of service with the police division of the Public Safety Department.

The city manager Charlie Duggan announced that there are two board vacancies.

There is one four-year position expiring April 14, 2014, for the library board.

There are two three-year positions for the Historic Preservation Commission, which expire April 20, 2013.

Share and discuss “Council looks at open-container law” on social media.