Girl's Guide: Defending Against Attack

There's always been the joke of women going to the bathroom in groups because they need to gossip, but this ritual may actually be saving lives.

It's a basic known fact that women are more vulnerable to being assaulted when alone, but that doesn't mean they're helpless.

In fact, Auburn University women have a unique opportunity to take a women's self-defense class in order to prepare themselves for a life threatening situation.

Andrea Bartels, R.A.D. (Rape Aggression Defense) coordinator for the department of public safety, teaches four special topics kinesiology courses on women's self defense.

"We teach our students to rely on their personal weapons," Bartels said. "Tasers and pepper spray are good to have... but we teach you to use your voice, elbows, feet and knees."

Although being able to defend yourself is a good way to be prepared for attack, Bartels' classes focus on educating students to avoid dangerous situations.

"The key to self defense is distraction," said Ashley Fish, junior in pre-pharmacy and former student of Bartels. "When I'm going about my day, the best way to stay out of trouble is to not be distracted myself. Attackers are looking for an easy target, someone who is not paying attention, won't see it coming and won't fight back."

Fish said she also learned how to properly approach dangerous situations in which she might find herself.

"You're not looking to get into a fight," Fish said. "So if you are abducted, you're objective is to hurt them hard and fast immediately, in order to make them too distracted by pain and surprised to notice that you have gotten away."

Bartels allows her students to participate in in-class scenarios to test what they've learned.

Emily Dressler, junior in accounting, felt that the simulations were the most important part of the class.

"You feel immediately threatened by the men in the simulation and find yourself understanding it's OK to attack," Dressler said.

Even though these inclass scenarios are good preparation for women, no two real-life scenarios are ever alike. Instead of focusing on moves for specific situations, Bartels educates her classes to give them self-assurance. "When you know what you can do, you walk around with confidence,"

Bartels said. Even though confidence is a large role in selfdefense, a woman must also be aware of bad tips passed down by friends and family.

One of the most commonly heard tips is using a key between your fingers in order to hurt an assaulter, but Bartels said the positioning of the key is most important.

"A key is a viscous weapon," Bartels said. "But you're more likely to hurt yourself with it. Plus the first thing you lose when you're attacked is your motor skills."

Bartels said the proper way to hold a key is between the thumb and fore- finger, allowing full control and ability to aim for the eyes.

A better tip Bartels wants women to know is avoiding being trapped by an attacker.

"Abduction starts when someone is blocking your path, won't let you go where you want," Fish said. "This is the point when you can retaliate-- before they lay hands on you or have taken you away in a car to do whatever they want. As soon as you feel in danger for your life, you take the offense and distract them enough to escape."

Most of the women who come through Bartels class have never been assaulted and she said she feels as though most of them won't after a semester of her class.

Share and discuss “Girl's Guide: Defending Against Attack” on social media.