Golf wins Auburn Invite

The No. 3 Auburn Women's Golf team swept the one-day Auburn Invitational Sunday earning a 6-over-par team score of 294. "Obviously our goal is to be on our home turf and win so I feel great," said head coach Kim Evans. "We got it done. It wasn't always pretty, but we got it done. I was pretty pleased." Sunday's tournament, which marked the first win for the Tigers of the season, was held at the Auburn University Club and included Georgia, Florida and Vanderbilt. Enjoying

Sunday's mid60s temperature, mild sun and breeze,

Florida placed second with a 297 team total, Georgia in third with 301 and Vanderbilt in fourth with 305.

Georgia freshman Emile Burger shot the highest score of the day with a 1-under-par score of 71.

Auburn juniors Cydney Clanton and Patricia Sanz tied for second overall by posting even-par scores of 72.

"As usual (Cydney) is on track and Patty had a really good tournament last week and performed really well again today," Evans said. "I was really proud of Haley Wilson, too. She came back with a couple of birdies. We had four pretty good scores today to win it."

Clanton said she enjoyed the nice weather and felt she played consistent throughout the tournament.

"Being able to compete on your home golf course and with your family here is always great," Clanton said. "It's always great to have family come down and play at home where people can come watch you because we don't get that chance very often."

Clanton shot a 37 on the front nine and a 35 on the back nine, while Sanz shot a pair of 36s.

"The first nine holes were good, but then I started a little bad on the second nine," Sanz said. "I bogeyed 10 and 11, but I didn't let myself get down and I kept trying and trying, then I birdied 16 and 18, so it was a good ending."

Despite the close scores of the competitors, players from all of the teams supported and congratulated each other after shots.

"Golf 's always been pretty friendly because it's all individual stuff, so everyone is pretty nice out here on the golf course," Clanton said.

Sanz described golf as a "gentleman's game," and said all of the women support each other.

Wilson, a sophomore, earned her first top-10 finish of the season tying for seventh with a score of 74.

Senior Candace Schepperle tied for 10th place by shooting a 76 and freshman Carlie Yadloczky's score of 80 tied her for 18th place.

Redshirt junior Karlin Beck and sophomore Madison Overby competed as individuals and shot a 76 and 82, respectively.

The Tigers head to New Orleans tomorrow to play in the Tiger/ Wave Golf Classic through Sunday.

Evans said they are going to New Orleans with the best attitudes and once they see the course they will formulate a plan and get down to business.

Share and discuss “Golf wins Auburn Invite” on social media.