Women's intramural basketball declares campus champion

In a clash of Greeks vs. non-Greeks, the latter has claimed the title of women's intramural basketball champions at Auburn. The Kappa Alpha Theta sorority squared off against Bringing Paxil Back in the finals at the Student Activities Center Tuesday night. Both teams reached the game by winning its respective league championships, Theta in the Greek division and Bringing Paxil Back in the non-Greek group.

The fierceness of competition quieted the normal laid-back frivolity of an intramural competition. Both halves of the bleachers were focused intently upon their team, with the silence occasionally broken by the cheer of a friend's name or a sorority song. Though the stands were filled with mostly women, there were a number of men in attendance. "I come to intramurals to see my friends play," said Phinizy Wimberly, junior in business. "And because my girlfriend makes me."

Bringing Paxil Back took the lead early, as Erin Meriwether, senior in social science and secondary education, helped lead her team's aggressive defense before hitting a 3-point shot. Theta's Kirby Mitchell, freshman in nursing, scored nine of the team's first 12 points. "I come because I want to see my sorority play," said Morgan Seeley, sophomore in public relations. "My favorite part is watching my sorority whip butt." Bringing Paxil Back lead the game 26-21 going into the half.

As the second period began, the margin of the lead continued to increase. Both sides stepped up as the intensity of the fouls began to increase, bringing players such as Bringing Paxil Back's Rachel Shanks, third year pharmacy student, to the free throw line. "It's nice that we made it a lot further than we did last year," Shanks said. "I thought the team did really well, I was glad that I hit free throws. I love intramurals and I'm sad that I won't be able to play next year." Though Theta stepped up its defense in the second half and kept the margin at 10 points most of the time, the offensive side wasn't strong enough to close the gap.

Paxil Back successfully kept the sorority at a distance as the clock wound down, walking away with the 44-37 win. "The game was great," Meriwether said. "The team did a great job. I'm happy about the three I hit and the team's defensive performance. Intramurals are fun and the competition is good." Despite the vehement play, both sides left in good spirits. Amanda Pinto, senior in public relations, said that she enjoys the chance to compete and interact with other groups that Auburn intramurals presents students.

"I like how friends can get together and play," Pinto said. "I like to come support my sisters, but talent doesn't have anything to do if you're Greek or non-Greek. Yay for everybody!"

Share and discuss “Women's intramural basketball declares campus champion” on social media.