Coaches Get Cookin' For AXD Taste-Off

Locals enjoyed a barbecue lunch while contributing to a good cause as part of the ninth annual Alpha Xi Delta Coaches' Taste-Off Saturday afternoon in the Student Center.

The philanthropy event raised $10,000 for the Lee County Partnership for Children to help local low-income families pay for child care.

The funds will be contributed to the Child Care Resource Center, which administers the county's child care subsidy program.

"The coaches do take (the contest) pretty seriously," said Erin McCreary, president of Alpha Xi Delta and sophomore in biomedical sciences. "They've been here for a while so they kind of have a tradition going."

The event was moved to a ballroom inside the Student Center because of the weather.

"The day was really awesome because we were really nervous with all the rain that we wouldn't get a big turnout," McCreary said. "The turnout was still awesome, all things considered, and it was a lot of fun."

Several Auburn coaches and athletic department employees spent the entire morning cooking their best rack of ribs in attempt to appeal to the taste buds of a panel of judges.

The contestants were judged on the creativity, taste and quality of the meat.

After hours of cooking and waiting, Jon Chase, owner of Jag Trucking Co., was announced as the winner. Chase also took home the title in 2008.

Chase's company contracts with the University to provide transportation for every athletic team.

"(My rib) is a slow-cooked rib on a steady temperature," Chase said. "I've got a secret sauce, and I can't give all the ingredients, but I can promise you it's in the sauce. It (won the contest) in '08, and it did again this year,"

However, Chase said the taste of his ribs took a back seat to contributing to a cause he cared about.

"Any time we can help a sorority, we want to do our part," Chase said. "I've got kids of my own, and anything I can do to help out, I'd be glad to. We all stick together and try to support them any way we can."

Dana Marquez, director of equipment operations, was selected as runner-up.

Assistant football coach Trooper Taylor finished in third place.

A silent and live auction were conducted to add to the day's activities.

Signed Auburn memorabilia, gift baskets, donated vacations and the coaches' ribs were auctioned off.

Share and discuss “Coaches Get Cookin' For AXD Taste-Off” on social media.