Davis Potter / WRITER

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Coaches Get Cookin' For AXD Taste-Off

Locals enjoyed a barbecue lunch while contributing to a good cause as part of the ninth annual Alpha Xi Delta Coaches' Taste-Off Saturday afternoon in the Student Center.The philanthropy event raised $10,000 for the Lee County Partnership for Children to help local low-income families pay for child care.The funds will be contributed to the Child Care Resource Center, which administers the county's child care subsidy program."The coaches do take (the contest) pretty seriously," said Erin McCreary, president of Alpha Xi Delta and sophomore in biomedical sciences.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Foursquare Improves Social Media Connectivity

Move over, Twitter.Out of the way, Facebook.There's a new social networking sheriff in town.Foursquare, a navigation-based cell phone application, is becoming one of the fastest growing avenues to connect with friends while being rewarded at the same time."Foursquare is all about get out and do things in the real world and be rewarded for them," Crowley said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Baseball Defeats Wildcats in Series Opener

The Auburn Baseball team's high-powered offense was on display once again Friday night, as the Tigers pounded out 12 hits en route to a 13-6 victory over the Kentucky Wildcats (22-16, 5-11 SEC) in front of 2,662 fans at Plainsman Park in the first game of three-game series.

News

$1 Billion May Go To Roads

The Alabama Senate has approved a compromise to the 10-year, $1 billion roads bill. The money from the bill will go toward improving roads and bridges.A number of the special projects included in the House version of the bill were reduced.The bill was sponsored by Sen.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Clayton's Coaching Passion

Church league basketball and Division I track and field usually don't go together.However, for assistant head track and field coach Jerry Clayton, an interest in the former helped pave the way to his current position in the latter."I started coaching church league basketball I think when I was about a freshman or sophomore in high school," Clayton said.

News

Alabama Attorney General Takes On EPA

The Alabama attorney general is suing the Environmental Protection Agency for its December ruling in which the agency concluded greenhouse gas emissions are a threat to human health.Attorney General Troy King has challenged the EPA's ruling by filing a petition in federal appeals court.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Tigers Fell to Rebels, 65-61

The Auburn Women's Basketball team (13-15, 4-11 SEC) rallied to cut an 11-point deficit to single digits in the second half, but it wasn't enough in the end as the Tigers fell to the Ole Miss Rebels (16-12, 7-8) Thursday night, 65-61, at Tad-Smith Coliseum in Oxford, Miss. Senior forward Jordan Greenleaf and junior guard Alli Smalley led Auburn as both players scored 16 points. Freshman guard Morgan Toles added 10 points and five assists.

More articles »