Guy's Guide: Advice For Upcoming Graduates

Before a college graduate faces the real world, he or she must first successfully make it through graduation and all that comes with it.

Claire Jackson, senior in accounting, said there are several things she thinks may be overlooked by her graduating friends.

"Make sure to address invitations to friends and family at the very least three to four weeks prior to graduation," Jackson said. "The sooner the better."

Jackson emphasized every graduating male should look his best on graduation day.

A white collared shirt looks best under a cap and gown, and it is even nicer to wear a shirt that is color-coordinated with the tassel, Jackson said.

"Wear dark shoes and socks to coordinate with the black graduation gown," Jackson said. "And if you don't have time to iron your gown, make sure to hang it in the bathroom while you shower to steam out the wrinkles."

Ryan Brooks, senior in accounting, said he is planning to dress his best.

"I'm definitely planning to dress up," Brooks said. "It's important to wear pants and shoes that when they come out of the bottom they won't clash, so I'm probably going to wear black pants and black shoes."

Simple black and white color combos are always a safe choice.

On graduation day, getting to the ceremony early to get a seat with friends is recommended, said Dale Coleman, professor of animal sciences and co-chair of the graduation committee.

Also, Coleman said students should make sure their tassel matches their classmates.

"Every once in a while you find out that everyone around you is wearing a golden tassel, and you're the only one sitting there wearing a purple one, and you start wondering what's going on," Coleman said. "There are extra tassels on the floor, so you can get that corrected if it's incorrect."

After the ceremony, Jackson said it is important to find family and friends quickly.

"Find a creative place to meet up with your friends and family after the ceremony," Jackson said. "Everyone usually meets at the eagle outside of the Coliseum so it may be easier to regroup in a less chaotic place."

Brooks said he is planning to get his cap and gown as early as possible.

"If you go get it around the last day close to graduation, it's going to be really chaotic, and it would be much more likely there's an error or something that they can get it taken care of ahead of time if you don't wait till the last minute to go," Brooks said.

Graduation gowns must be turned in immediately after the ceremony, so make sure to take pictures beforehand, Jackson said.

Gowns may be returned to the Student Activities Center.

Graduates should also be prepared for receiving gifts, as those are often sent in response to a graduation invitation.

"If you receive any graduation gifts, be sure to write and send a thank you note within one week of receiving the gift," Jackson said.

Coleman said that aside from the serious things to remember on graduation day, there are a few other things students often forget.

"Remember that the front of Samford Hall has better light in the morning," Coleman said. "So if you're getting graduation pictures in front of Samford Hall, be there in the morning,"

Coleman also said it is important for graduates to remember to thank those who supported them up until this point, like parents, grandparents and other family members.

"Don't get so wrapped up in the moment that you forget to thank those that got you here," Coleman said.

Cap and gowns are available to be picked up in the Haley Center lobby May 12 and 13 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and May 15 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Share and discuss “Guy's Guide: Advice For Upcoming Graduates” on social media.