Newton Earns Top Spot

Auburn Football coach Gene Chizik announced yesterday that junior Cameron Newton is the No. 1 quarterback after spring practice.

This announcement does not secure Newton's spot for the fall, but gives him the advantage over senior Neil Caudle, sophomore Barrett Trotter and redshirt freshman Clint Moseley.

"After thoroughly evaluating our quarterbacks during spring practice and over the last week, Cam has emerged as our post-spring No. 1 quarterback," Chizik said. "Obviously, he will have a lot of work to do over the summer and during two-a-days to continue along this path. We fully expect our other quarterbacks to continue to work hard and compete with Cam during the off-season and into fall camp."

During the annual A-Day game April 17, Newton completed three of eight passes for 80 yards.

"I did some good things and some bad things," Newton said after the A-Day game. "I was just trying to go out and have some fun today."

All four quarterback candidates saw action in the Blue vs. White game.

"Don't read into how much he threw or didn't throw, who played and who played with who," Chizik said after the game. "That just wasn't the case today. We had a rotation going and we just stayed with the rotation. Don't read anything into that."

Newton, who transferred to Auburn in January from Blinn College, was the No. 1 junior college prospect in 2009.

Share and discuss “Newton Earns Top Spot” on social media.