Unanimous 'Yes' For Open Containers

Unanimous consent of the Auburn City Council amended and passed the ordinance to allow open alcoholic containers on sidewalks at outdoor cafes in the city.

The ordinance was amended to appease all council members after a clarification was made on what type of businesses will be affected.

This ordinance will not apply to downtown bars unless the business also serves food, according to the council.

"It was an amendment that eliminated one city facility from any possibility of it being utilized," said Mayor Bill Ham. "That would be Boykin community center."

The Jan Dempsey Community Arts Center was an example of a venue where open containers would be permitted.

Unanimous consent also approved the speed limit reduction on North College Street at Shug Jordan Parkway and North College at Shelton Mill Road.

The speed limit is being changed from 50 mph to 45 mph.

A new public safety fire truck was inspected and viewed by the council before the meeting.

"It is a great piece of equipment and another tool in the arsenal," Ham said. "Public safety is a big deal and we don't have many fires here. The guys tell me that 90 percent of fires can be put out with the water that's on board in this truck."

The truck is a 2010 KME with 1,250 gallon per minute pumper, carries a 1000 gallons of water and a array of equipment, according to Fire Chief Lee Lamar.

"We actually placed the truck in service Friday night around 5 p.m.," Lamar said. "So it has been running calls out of station one since then."

The Auburn University College of Education and Auburn City Schools were recognized for their award for becoming the 2010 Nancy Zimpher Recipient for Best Partnership.

"Over the last five years the committee has improve the relationship significantly between K-20" said Dr. J. Terry Jenkins, superintendent of Auburn City Schools.

Share and discuss “Unanimous 'Yes' For Open Containers” on social media.