Area Babies Now Eco-Friendly

It was a quiet afternoon last fall when Maria Bolanos-Turpin, a registered nurse, came up with the idea for Mamunchis. Sofia, her newborn daughter, was taking a nap, and Bolanos-Turpin was online looking for organic products for newborns, products she struggled to find in the Auburn-Opelika area.

"I was just sitting at home and was like, 'I'm tired of buying this stuff online,'" she said. "I told my husband I wanted to open up a store and sell these things. I knew there were plenty of mothers, including some of my friends from the center, that would be interested in having a store with organic, sustainable products (for their children)."

After talking it over with her husband, she called Elizabeth Clark, a friend she met in her breastfeeding support group at the East Alabama Medical Center.

The two women, interested in the same childcare philosophies and safe, organic products, immediately started planning the business.

"We wanted to offer something different than the other children stores they have around the area," Bolanos-Turpin said. "A place that had more practical products and more environmentally oriented things that we liked."

The women decided on the name Mamunchis because it is a Spanish term of endearment meaning one's most loved person, Mama.

The store came together quickly, and Mamunchis had its grand opening May 6.

"This is a place where the community can come and network," Bolanos-Turpin said. "We love to think of Mamunchis as a place where parents can come and meet other parents that have kids around the same age as their own, and they can exchange ideas, philosophies and questions."

Mamunchis offers organic products that are safe for children, families and the environment.

Some of its products include clothing for children, nursing covers, slings, bibs, pacifier holders and maternity tunics. These products come from organic vendors and local mothers.

"I think we're providing an outlet for local moms that are stay-at-home moms who have to time for sewing and creating beautiful things," Bolanos-Turpin said. "They are able to bring their stuff here and sell it."

Mamunchis also offers a variety of classes oriented toward mothers, fathers, children and entire families. The ages of the children range from newborn to 5 years old.

Some of the parenting classes include Prenatal Yoga, Newborn Care, Infant and Child CPR, Infant Massage, Cloth Diapering 101, Confident Fathering and Making Your Own Baby Food.

Mamunchis also offers breastfeeding support and a variety of classes for infants and toddlers, including Kindermusik classes, art classes and a Spanish class.

"My daughter Lily is currently taking the Pint Size Picassos art class," said Kristi Wilson, wife of an Auburn University fisheries department professor. "The great thing is that not only can Lily have a great time learning about art, but I can bring my 6-month-old son and feel like I am at home. I can keep him comfortable while still enjoying the class with my daughter."

Wilson said this type of situation is not an easy find for a mother of two or more.

"We chose downtown Opelika (as the location for the foot traffic, because we wanted to offer a place where you can change a diaper while you're out shopping, or if you needed to feed your baby, we have a nursing area," Clark said. "We chose Opelika because we felt like it was more family-oriented, whereas I think the foot traffic in downtown Auburn is more oriented toward college students."

Mamunchis hosts play dates on Fridays for parents who would like to come in with their children and network while their children play and learn.

They also offer free story time on Fridays, with stories oriented toward the different age groups.

"It's a wonderful, welcoming environment for families of all sizes and at different stages," Wilson said. "Since two moms run the business, they are very sensitive to the community family needs. In addition to family needs, they have unique children's clothing, baby essentials and maternity supplies."

In addition to its classes, support groups and networking opportunities, Mamunchis also hosts birthday parties and baby showers.

Mamunchis has five themed birthday party packages to choose from and one standard package, each equipped with party supplies, a personal consultant and project supplies for activities.

Baby showers at Mamunchis come in a standard package, with a personal party planner and the option of baby shower games or a demonstration of the products Mamunchis offers.

"We want to reach out to the moms in Auburn and at the University," Bolanos-Turpin said.

"I think we have learned that once you have a kid, you need that community support, especially if your family is far away. We want to be a support for the moms and parents in general that are around this area."

The motto of Mamunchis is "It takes a village to raise a child," a motto Clark and Bolanos-Turpin said they try to live by each day.

"I think the main thing that we want everyone to know is that Mamunchis is a place where you can come and find helpful advice, networking and just a community space," Bolanos-Turpin said. "We're a big family."

For more information, go to www.mamunchis.com or call 334-737-6070.

Share and discuss “Area Babies Now Eco-Friendly” on social media.