Auburn's First Barista Throw Down Set for Aug. 19

Get excited for a caffeinated frenzy. Sarah Barnett, the owner of Mama Mocha's Coffee Roastery, is organizing Auburn's first barista throw down Aug. 19 at The Gnu's Room at 6 p.m.

"It's kind of like Iron Chef, except for coffee," Barnett, also known as Mama Mocha, said.

Ten competitors must create four espresso drinks, four Italian-style cappuccinos and four specialty drinks of their choice. Judges will be in the back of the store to blindly score the drinks based on their taste and latte art.

"Latte art is really fun to do, but you never see it enough at a lot of coffee shops," said Kristin Courtney, who will be a participant in the competition.

A judge at the front of the store will score the baristas on their technique, grace, speed, cleanliness and a soundtrack they bring to the competition.

"I'm an avid coffee drinker, so I'm excited to see what Auburn's coffee makers can whip up," said Katie Reynolds, a senior in accounting.

Esther Ngumbi, a graduate student in entomology, said she was excited about the event as well.

The event is open to the public, and there will be no cover. Free wine and beer will be available to all visitors with a valid I.D.

"The whole point of doing this is to focus on building community. We're not trying to make a bunch of money with this," Barnett said.

The Gnu's Room will be having a book sale during the barista throw down. All items under $15 will be half-price.

Adam Wilson, a barista at The Gnu's Room, will be competing in the throw down. He said he is nervous about the 9-minute time goal for the competition.

Wilson, a graduate student in agricultural economics, has been a barista for more than three years. He said being a barista can be a person's career if they want it to.

"There's definitely a lot of creativity that goes into it," Wilson said.

Barnett got her inspiration for the barista throw down from Octane Coffee Bar and Lounge in Atlanta, Ga. She said the last time she went there, 20 baristas competed and made all kinds of interesting, unique coffee drinks.

The format for the barista throw down is borrowed from the Specialty Coffee Association of America's barista championship. Barnett emphasized the event's driving motive of establishing community.

"I want to go home at night knowing that I did something to really build my community, rather than just trying to take people's money," Barnett said.

Share and discuss “Auburn's First Barista Throw Down Set for Aug. 19” on social media.