Free food and tickets at BBQ

With the start of basketball season just a few months away, first year coach Tony Barbee wanted to let students know how important they are to the program.

Roughly 800 students showed up for free barbecue while Barbee announced tickets for all 1,500 seats in the student section will be free for the season.

"It was an unbelievable day," Barbee said. "I've made it clear that the students on this campus are a part of my team. They are just as important as our leading scorer, our lead rebounder and our best defender. We are all a part of one team. The students are vital to our success, and they will have the best seats in the house."

Barbee said he went to battle with the administration for the students because he feels, as a part of the team, they should not have to pay for games.

Barbee also announced the hiring of DJ Holleywood to create a party atmosphere for the students at every home game.

"It was Coach Barbee's idea," DJ Holleywood said. "He contacted the marketing department, who then contacted me. I love Auburn, and I am glad to see that the University is catering something toward the students. It's going to be a lot of fun."

Barbee sat down with several leaders on campus from the SGA, fraternities, sororities and other organizations to discuss how the program could become more organized while improving the quality of the student experience at games.

"We've got to make it fun," Barbee said. "The game has to become an event. People in today's society go to events, they don't go to games."

As an added surprise, Barbee announced students who attend every home game this year using their Auburn Ignited card will be invited to a party at his house following the season.

Barbee said he was willing to hold the party at his house if it is 50 people, but if it is 1,500, it would shift to the arena.

Jourdan Beaumont, a sophomore in mechanical engineering, said he came to the Barbee-Q to see the new arena, coach and the atmosphere he'll be bringing with him.

He said he was blown away when he found out Barbee had one final announcement.

Barbee said he would personally pay for one student at every home game to win free textbooks for the semester.

Barbee also said at each game, a student will be given the chance to shoot for free tuition.

"It's insane," Beaumont said. "I've never heard of that. It's going to create a great atmosphere and people are going to be dying to come to these games."

After the announcement, the students were allowed to tour the arena and shoot hoops.

"It's cool he is turning the program into an awesome environment, and hopefully soon, it's going to be as big as football," Beaumont said.

Share and discuss “Free food and tickets at BBQ” on social media.