Smart phone apps are truly 'smart'

Chris Riley, senior in business administration, better understands a concept from class by using his smart phone's apps. (Charlie Timberlake/ ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

In today's world, whatever the problem, there's an app for it.

With over 200,000 apps available today, students all over the globe are syncing up and harnessing all kinds of power at their fingertips.

"I have a couple of applications that I use on my iPhone for school," said Brad Cink, senior in industrial engineering. "One is the TransLoc app that gives me real-time tracking of the Tiger Transit service on campus."

The TransLoc application gives students and professors the opportunity to catch a few extra minutes of much needed shut-eye (assuming they live close to a transit stop).

Once students have caught the transit and made it to class, there is another app to keep their school assignments organized.

Cink said he uses iHomework which allows him to record tests, homework assignment and quizzes into a special calendar.

For students who still enjoy a spiral bound planner, there are more obscure ways apps can help.

"College is definitely the time in life where everyone becomes a borderline insomniac," said Milan Kunin in his article entitled "Smart phone Applications for College Students" at CollegeMediaNetwork.com.

Kunin said there is an application called Sleep Diary that helps one keep track of sleeping habits in an effort to better understand how one performs while asleep.

Another interesting app is the car locator app, which is available for a number of different Smart phone brands including iPhone and Android. Arguably one of the market's coolest applications, it scans the location of the owner's car using the built-in GPS system.

Once the car owner returns to the parking lot, they turn on the app, and it navigates them directly to their car.

"The only app I use is one for Auburn football," said Casey Bode, senior in applied discrete mathematics. "I got it two years ago and it was great. It gave me the upcoming schedule and tons of Auburn Tiger football news. Everything from recruits to injuries was included."

But the Auburn football app wasn't exactly reliable, Bode said.

"After about a year the app quit working," Bode said. "I synced my phone numerous times, but it never worked again."

Along with the aforementioned apps, there is a variety of equally pertinent apps available for students.

These applications can be bought via the Internet or mobile device and are usually priced between two or three dollars, and in some cases, they are free.

Share and discuss “Smart phone apps are truly 'smart'” on social media.