Your View: Auburn Man, grandfather to miss first game in 53 years

Editor, The Auburn Plainsman

Let me tell you about my granddaddy, L.B. "Tex" Williams.

He is the man I think about when I think of the Auburn Creed. He served in University Relations from 1956 to 1988.

For extra money to support his family, he began working with the stats crew in the press box at home football games.

When he retired from University Relations in 1988, he got a call, on the morning of the first home game, from then athletic director David Housel asking where he was. He was told he had not retired from the athletic department. Mr. Housel sent a police car to pick Granddaddy up and bring him to the game. From 1956 to 2009, my granddaddy did not miss a single Auburn home game. He is now bedridden with cancer, and his time remaining on this earth is short.

However, he will leave behind a great legacy in the lives he has touched.

Granddaddy truly loves Auburn and continues to support the team and the University.

When the Tigers take the field this Saturday against Arkansas State, it will be the first home game he has not attended in 53 years. But he will be watching from his easy chair, cheering for the Orange and Blue. Granddaddy Tex has inspired me for many years, and as an Auburn student, I have been further inspired by his dedication to the school. Auburn will lose a treasure when he is gone.

Share and discuss “Your View: Auburn Man, grandfather to miss first game in 53 years” on social media.