Auburn to host AHSAA football finals

Image provided by Auburn-Opelika Tourism Bureau

All roads lead to Auburn.

These words can be seen all throughout town, advertising the Alabama High School Athletic Association Super Six that is coming to Auburn Dec. 1-3.

The Super Six are six classes of schools that compete in a bracket-style playoff for the state football title.

In the past, the state championships have been hosted by the city of Birmingham and played at Legion Field, but will now come to Auburn and Tuscaloosa.

"Four years ago, Auburn was approached about the possibility to partner with the city of Tuscaloosa and the University of Alabama to host the event," said associate athletic director for facilities and operations Jeffrey Steele. "Auburn will host the event in corresponding years to the Iron Bowl. So in years we don't host the Iron Bowl, we host the high school state championships."

The Super Six is a two-day championship consisting of three games each day.

Games start at 11 a.m., followed by games starting at 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. The night prior to the games, the University will host all the teams, guests and fans in the Arena for a banquet where Auburn football coach Gene Chizik will speak to them.

Auburn will also try to organize a 'Tiger Walk,' where student-athletes will have the chance to walk through their own fans into Jordan-Hare Stadium two hours prior to their game.

"One of the things that we wanted to do was give those young men an opportunity to experience something that is unique to Auburn," Steele said. "It will once again be a great way to showcase just the whole Auburn package and everything that makes Auburn great."

The event will also be televised by CBS-42 in Birmingham, but Steele believes hosting the Super Six is not all about showcasing athletics.

"We are hosting and recruiting athletes, but we are also hosting and recruiting students," Steele said. "Fans will be here to watch the game, and we are working closely with the student recruitment office so that we have the opportunity to showcase all the wonderful academic things the University has to offer."

The decision to bring the Super Six to Auburn will benefit both the University and local businesses.

Hans Van Der Reijden, Hotel manager for the Hotel at Auburn University, said he believes the event will have a great economic impact.

"Since we are the only hotel within walking distance of the campus, we are completely booked, so that is exciting," Van Der Reijden said. "It's not just great for the hotel of course, but for Auburn as a city. To host this event, attract this many people and experience the city at that time of the year, brings a whole new energy after the football season is over."

Tickets will be available for purchase at Jordan-Hare Stadium on the day of the games and in the Hay Field public parking lot on the day of the Super Six Championship.

Share and discuss “Auburn to host AHSAA football finals” on social media.