Gubernatorial candidates set to debate on campus

The eyes of the state will be on Auburn Oct. 19 when the two men vying to be Alabama's next governor will square off in a debate in the Student Center ballroom at 7 p.m.

The debate will be the second in a series crafted by the Student Government Associations of Auburn and the University of Alabama. The first was held Sept. 14 in Tuscaloosa between Commissioner Ron Sparks, the Democratic nominee, and Robert Bentley, the Republican nominee.

"The SGA at Alabama came up with the idea and brought it to us back in February and asked us if this was something we'd be interested in getting together on," said Kurt Sasser, senior in human resource management and SGA president.

For Sasser and his administration, Tuesday's debate will be the culmination of months of work.

"We've really been meeting with everybody since May on an every-other-week basis," Sasser said.

For leaders of the SGA, the planning has been a learning experience. Sasser said he worked closely with SGA Treasurer Spencer Moore, senior in political science.

"I have learned a ton about everything, from one end of the spectrum of Alabama politics to the other end, which is event planning," Sasser said.

Sasser and company see the event as an excellent opportunity to show what Auburn students are capable of and also as a way to get involved in state politics.

"It's kind of a multifaceted event in the fact that it's a great way for the candidates to get their messages across," Moore said.

Higher education has been a topic of debate in the campaign. Sparks supports the legalization of gambling and following states like Tennessee and Georgia in instituting a state lottery to fund a scholarship program for higher education. Bentley views gambling as a "detriment to society" and has focused on calling for greater transparency in university budgets.

"Since a significant amount of our funding comes from the state, Auburn students need to be aware of the candidates' positions on higher education and other relevant issues," Moore said.

Sasser and Moore are hoping to generate a large student turnout.

Jordan Luke, junior in English and director of the Politics and Leadership program in SGA's Tiger Tuesdays, said her group is fired up for the debate.

"We're not directly involved," Luke said. "But we've been pushing our members to get involved."

Luke said PAL has been holding a voter registration drive on the Haley Center concourse this week and is hoping to get more students engaged and educated in the midterm election year.

Sasser said being educated is the most important part of the political process.

"On Nov. 2, when they're going to make that vote, they'll be able to make the right choice because they'll know about which issues they care about and be able to pick the candidate that best addresses those issues," Sasser said.

The debate will be followed by a private reception with the two candidates and student leaders at President Jay Gogue's home. It will be broadcasted live on Alabama Public Television and Radio.

"I'm trying to push these kids," Luke said of her PAL members. "We're the future of this country and that future starts with voting."

Share and discuss “Gubernatorial candidates set to debate on campus” on social media.