Take a Hike

Tripp Colley, 5, examines a maypop fruit during a Discovery Hike at the Ecology Preserve. (Emily Adams / PHOTO EDITOR)

The Forest Ecology Preserve is making it fun for children to enjoy the outdoors and the chill autumn weather.

The preserve is hosting Fall Discovery Hikes at 3:30 p.m. every Tuesday for children ages 5-12.

Margaret Holler, preserve volunteer and former coordinator, said the hikes keep a free form, as there is no need to plan time spent in nature.

"Usually, the forest provides a program," Holler said. "The forest is our classroom. I keep it pretty much a hike, and that's usually fun for every age."

Holler guides participants through different paths each week.

"I know this property very well, so I know little places during each season where something is different to find out," Holler said. "I make sure the kids keep their eyes and ears open, and even their noses, too."

The hikes usually last an hour, but Holler said that varies by the group.

"I have a hard time not letting the kids explore and giving them a chance to be free," Holler said. "It's too important to me to not rush them."

She said the purpose of the hikes is to get children outside.

"The next generation is not going to know what the natural world provides," Holler said. "We need them to fall in love with it if they're going to take care of it."

The hikes are a free activity for families to enjoy, she said.

"Most of the parents that come recognize the need, and it's an opportunity to have a special day," Holler said. "There's not that much for families to do that parents and children enjoy together, and being in nature is automatic entertainment, and it's cheap."

For parents, seeing their children get excited about something is the reward, according to Jodi Steltenpohl, who participated in a hike Sept. 21 with twin daughters, Alex and Maddie, 7.

"The best part for me is seeing how excited the kids get when they see something neat," Steltenpohl said, "and listening to them retell the stories about all the neat things they saw."

Steltenpohl, who is leader of Girl Scout Troop 7182, brought the troop to the preserve as a fun way to help the girls earn hiking badges.

The hikes have numerous benefits for children, Steltenpohl said.

"It's good to get them outside and get them active," Steltenpohl said. "There are plenty of things here they can learn and discover about nature, so it's a great educational experience for them, and it's also really good for physical activity."

Children enjoy finding rocks and leaves along the path, but their favorite part is the animals, Steltenpohl said.

"They love all of it," Steltenpohl said, "but I think they really enjoyed learning about the different animals. There are all sorts of reptiles, birds and insects here for them to see."

Lilli Wellbaum, 6, and Kavari Sanders, 8, agreed finding caterpillars at the Butterfly Garden was their favorite part of the hike Tuesday afternoon.

"I liked finding cool leaves," Lilli said. "Being outside is more fun."

Kavari, who took home an orange rock from the hike, said she also thinks playing outdoors is better.

"It's fun to hike, and there are lots of things to find outside," Kavari said.

It is important to get children outside at a young age, Holler said.

"The miracles of nature are not going to go away," Holler said. "They're there for us every day, and the kids find them. If you don't start them fairly young, you can really miss that opportunity for discovery."

Share and discuss “Take a Hike” on social media.