Tiger Bowl XLIV

LINDEN
LINDEN

After scoring 65 of the record 108 combined points in a nonovertime SEC game, the Tigers will face conference foe LSU.

Both teams enter the game with identical records of 7-0 overall and 4-0 in conference play and are the only two unbeaten teams in the SEC.

Most Tiger Bowls have come down to the final seconds and have often decided who went to Atlanta.

I don't see this one being any different.

LSU, known for playing physically and winning ugly, will be bringing another stellar defense to the Plains.

The Bayou Bengals rank third nationally in total defense, sixth in rushing defense, eighth in passing defense and 11th in scoring defense.

While its defense is strong, LSU's rushing and passing offense will be key in this game.

The Bayou Bengals must get its running game going.

Otherwise, LSU will have no chance Saturday.

Some key matchups in the game will be LSU running back Steven Ridley against an Auburn defensive line led by junior Nick Fairley.

Ridley ranks second in the SEC in rushing, averaging 98 yards per game.

If Auburn can keep quarterback Jordan Jefferson from escaping the pressure and limit Ridley's yards, the Tigers should be able to shut down this LSU offense.

Although LSU is known for its great defense, Auburn's defense has shown signs of brilliance as well.

Auburn ranks 15th in the nation in rushing defense, allowing just 101.7 yards per game.

The Tigers have yet to give up a run longer than 26 yards this season.

Chizik has called his defense resilient, saying they make big plays and create turnovers when it counts.

The Tigers currently have a turnover margin of plus eight and have forced eight turnovers in the fourth quarters of the last four games.

Turnovers, fortunately, play a big part for Auburn in the series.

The Tigers have intercepted 18 passes in its last seven wins over LSU, including six in 1994 alone.

Along with the usual offense and defense, special teams should also be fun to watch.

Auburn's special teams was nearly flawless last week against Arkansas, but will have their hands full Saturday with LSU's Patrick Peterson.

The junior cornerback has returned two punts for touchdowns this year and averages 21.1 yards per return.

"He's maybe the best in the country," said Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn. "He's extremely talented. He's got great ball skills, he's a good tackler and he has good instincts. He's a great player."

Auburn has won nine of its last 16 games against teams ranked in the AP top ten and is looking for its first Tiger Bowl win since 2006.

The 2006 game was decided by a Brandon Cox 1-yard quarterback run, as No. 3 Auburn held off No. 6 LSU, 7-3.

Kickoff is at 2:30 p.m. and the game will be televised nationally on CBS.

Share and discuss “Tiger Bowl XLIV” on social media.