Tigers face Hogs, tough schedule

LINDEN
LINDEN

The Auburn Tigers return to the Plains after yet another close win.

The Tigers have now won four games by single digits this season after defeating Kentucky 37-34.

The defense once again missed assignments and tackles, giving the Wildcats the opportunity to fight its way back into the game.

We lacked a steady pass rush like we saw earlier this year, opening up many passing lanes.

Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett is a pure passing quarterback, and I do not see our defensive backfield improving enough in one week to stop him.

The defensive line will have to bring the pressure and either knock him down or force the incomplete pass.

Ball security seemed to be another issue Saturday.

Auburn put the ball on the ground several times, including the game's last kickoff return.

The Tigers nearly fumbled away its chances of a game-winning drive when a planned reverse was mishandled before wide receiver Terrell Zachery fell on it, putting the Tigers at their own seven.

If this happens against Arkansas this weekend, things will get ugly quick.

The Razorbacks defense has shown great improvement from last year and currently ranks third in the Southeastern Conference in total defense.

Arkansas accounted for four turnovers, including three fumble recoveries, in Arkansas' 24-17 win over Texas A&M Saturday.

Junior safety Tramain Thomas was in on three of those plays, recording a season-high seven tackles, one fumble recovery, a half-tackle for a loss of yards, a pass deflection and an interception in the end zone as time expired, giving the Razorbacks the win.

This performance earned Thomas the honor of the Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week.

Junior quarterback Cameron Newton and the offense will have to execute and play mistake-free if they want to move the ball on this Hogs defense.

Newton has 1,138 yards and 12 touchdowns on the year and is in the running for almost every offensive award, but is doing a great job remaining humble, as he should.

Although we've had fun with sayings such as "War Damn Cam" and "War Cam Eagle," we need to remember there are 10 other guys working their tails off to help this team.

We're halfway through the season, but the tough part is just beginning for Auburn.

The Arkansas game marks the second game in what is to be a brutal month of October.

The Tigers have six games remaining, five of which are against SEC opponents.

LSU will come to the Plains next week, and if its two-quarterback system continues to improve, it will be another close game.

Even with an impressive win in the Swamp, LSU has looked beatable and needed its fair share of luck.

This meeting between the Hogs and Tigers marks the first time the two teams have played while both are ranked nationally.

Share and discuss “Tigers face Hogs, tough schedule” on social media.