Tuning in to WEGL with Cheeano Cambridge

Auburn's student-run radio station gets into a rhythm with its new station manager.

Originally from New York, Cheeano Cambridge, this year's station manager and junior in English and communication, got involved with WEGL last year after transferring from Houston.

Cambridge's first radio show was "Drive at Five."

WEGL is a Class A, noncommercial, FM college radio station broadcasted from campus and run by students who are interested in the radio business.

"I think it's cool that WEGL gives Auburn students the opportunity to get that kind of experience," said Courtney May, junior in human development and family studies, who frequently tunes in to WEGL.

"We talked about everyday topics and played music," Cambridge said. "It was more of a talk show, so it was pretty cool."

Although Cambridge is an English major rather than a radio, TV and film major, he sees himself being the station manager for an actual commercial radio station.

"I love the idea of radio," Cambridge said. "Reaching out to thousands of people and trying to be the voice of reason, per se, is a good thing."

Even though Cambridge enjoys talking on the radio, he said his favorite part about radio is meeting people and hearing what they have to say.

"To hear your caller's voice and hear what they have to say about you, about your show, about what we're talking about, it really lets me know if you're really listening," Cambridge said.

Cambridge has been the station manager since the beginning of the semester and said the position kind of fell in his lap.

"After the previous station manager graduated, the position was left vacant," Cambridge said. "I had a great show, so someone actually recommended me. I spoke to the adviser, and she told me to apply for it, so I did."

After applying for the job, the communications Board of Directors voted for him to fill the position.

As station manager, Cambridge's day-to-day responsibilities include taking phone calls from vendors and potential vendors and meeting with students and various campus and outside organizations for events.

"In regards to operations, I just make sure the radio station runs effectively," Cambridge said. "I also have to meet with different music vendors that come in so that we play up-and-coming music."

And WEGL listeners have taken notice.

"I tune in to WEGL because they play music I don't hear anywhere else," said Ian Kinzer, senior in secondary education. "Every other station plays only mainstream stuff, but not WEGL. No, no, no."

Kinzer, who has been in Auburn for four years and has been an avid listener of WEGL, said he has noticed positive changes in WEGL throughout the years.

"When I first started listening to it four years ago, and it was months before I heard anyone actually speak," Kinzer said. "Between songs, you'd just hear 10 seconds of static and maybe someone shuffling around with a disc."

Cambridge wrote an essay detailing his goals for the station as part of his application for the position of station manager.

"One of the goals was to expand WEGL's audience," Cambridge said. "The biggest goal was to change the audience of WEGL to make it more listening-friendly and to play more variety."

Interested students are encouraged to get involved with WEGL.

Wilson Bowling, graduate student in history, hosted a radio show on WEGL and had a great experience.

"It caters to all personality types and lets people express themselves," Bowling said.

For students interested in getting involved with WEGL, meetings are Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. in the studio, located in Suite 1105 of the Student Center.

Share and discuss “Tuning in to WEGL with Cheeano Cambridge” on social media.