Across the stage, down the aisle

For engaged students, the challenge of planning a wedding while taking classes can turn wedding bells into alarm bells.

Lauren Larue, senior in history, will graduate in December. She and her fiance, David Topping, senior in political science, have set their wedding for June 4, 2011.

Trying to achieve her envisioned wedding with a balance of traditional and modern elegance while working to graduate often creates a demanding schedule for Larue.

"Oh my gosh," Larue said. "It's so hectic. It really is."

Larue admitted that when she gets immersed in planning her wedding, her classes suffer.

Staying up late thinking about wedding details, browsing wedding websites on her computer and other facets of planning for the big day threaten to eat up her time.

Besides issues of time, Larue said she feels frustrated about having her parents pay for her wedding in addition to tuition and living costs.

"I feel ungrateful, being, like, 'Can I have more money for the wedding? Can I have more money?'" Larue said.

Despite the challenges, Larue said she is happy with the way planning has gone.

"I wouldn't say that there's any disadvantages you can't get past," Larue said.

For Larue, one of the main advantages in planning her wedding while in college is having so many people nearby who can give her help and advice, whether it be roommates, friends or sorority sisters.

Another advantage, Larue said, is even though Auburn is a small city, there is more inspiration for her wedding here than in her hometown of Blountsville.

"There's so much diversity here that it kind of makes you think about different things that you'd want to do," Larue said.

Larue said it is pointless to worry about the little details that ultimately will not be important on the big day.

"What your mother's half sister twice-removed is going to wear that day really doesn't matter," Larue said.

Larue's advice to other students planning their weddings is to not race through the planning process.

"Take things slow, and really think through what you want," Larue said, "because the worst thing, to me, would be to rush through it, just trying to deal with the stress, and then get there and it's not what you wanted."

Michael Pair, senior in communications, will graduate in December. He and his fiancee, Anna Owen, plan to get married in Auburn on March 12, 2011.

Pair said he wants his wedding to be fun and special, and though planning a wedding has put more on his to-do list for his last semester at Auburn, he said he thinks being in college gives him an advantage.

"I have a lot more free time while I'm in college than if I had a full-time job," Pair said.

Pair said money and the uncertainty of employment once out of college are common challenges for students planning their weddings.

"I don't have the money to front for wedding stuff right now," Pair said. "So it's kind of a planning thing and not really a doing thing, which is a disadvantage sometimes."

Pair said he wanted to be as involved as possible in planning his wedding, so he put as much responsibility on himself as he could. He also stressed the importance of the engaged couple working together to get things done.

"I would say no matter how long or short your engagement is, just to push through everything," Pair said, "because it really is a fun time, and it can all get done in good time."

Abigail McInnish, senior in public relations, is marrying Benjamin Sherman, Auburn graduate now in medical school. Their wedding is set for May 21, 2011, in McInnish's hometown of Bay Minette.

"It's not as bad as everybody says it is," McInnish said of planning a wedding her senior year. "People are going to tell you you're crazy, but as long as you remember why you're getting married, and it's for the right reasons, it's fine."

Though her wedding is a priority, McInnish said her first priority is school and graduating.

McInnish's advice to engaged students for balancing school and wedding priorities is that it is important not to try and tackle wedding details alone, but to ask for help from parents and friends.

While wanting her wedding to be beautiful, McInnish said she does not stress about the little things.

"It's not going to be the most wonderful day because of the flowers, the colors and all the fun," McInnish said. "It's because your friends and family are there and because I'm getting married to the man that I love."

McInnish said it is important to remember what a wedding is all about and not get obsessed with the event.

"If it works out, it'll be great and beautiful," McInnish said, "but if it doesn't happen, I still get to marry him at the end of the day."

Share and discuss “Across the stage, down the aisle” on social media.