Courtney Lockhart trial: further evidence revealed through Phenix City police testimony

During the second day of the Courtney Lockhart trial, the state continued to call witnesses concerning Lauren Burk's death in 2008.

Sean McQuaed, Burk's boyfriend at the time of her death, was called to the stand and testified about his interactions with Burk the day of her death.

McQuaed said Burk visited his dorm room in Sasnett Hall on Davis Drive from approximately 5 p.m. until 8 p.m.

Burk's mother later called McQuaed and told him Burk's car was on fire.

McQuaed said he found a police officer and asked about the burning car. He was directed to the band practice field on Lem Morrison Drive and identified Burk's car for the police on scene.

McQuaed said he tried to contact any of Burk's friends who might have known where she was.

Burk never met with her study group, McQuaed said.

The state also called Micheal De St. Aubin, the friend Burk was supposed to meet up with to study for a history test.

De St. Aubin testified he talked to Burk at approximately 8 p.m. March 4, 2008. He said Burk sounded like she was rushed.

Burk told him she had forgotten about a dinner party for a friend and would not be studying with him that evening.

De St. Aubin said he received a call from McQuaed approximately 30 to 45 minutes after he spoke with Burk.

"I didn't really think much about it at the time," De St. Aubin said, "but once I got the call from Sean saying her car was on fire, I was like, 'Wow, I should have known something was up.'"

John Daniels was the medical examiner for Burk's case.

Daniels talked extensively about the wounds Burk suffered March 4, 2008.

Burk had numerous recent abrasions on her legs, torso and feet along with a gunshot wound, Daniels said.

Daniels said the bullet entered Burk's body through her left shoulder, passed behind the heart and punctured both lungs before it exited her right arm.

Daniels testified the cause of death was a homicidal gunshot wound and that Burk's back was to the firearm when she was shot.

Daniels said Burk had "road rash," which are abrasions suffered when making rough contact with a road surface.

He testified the rash covered 25 percent of Burk's body, and would have been equal to second or third degree burns.

After the lunch break, several officers from the Phenix City police department were called to testify about Lockhart's arrest March 7, 2008.

Darryl Williams, a Phenix City traffic officer, said he pulled over Lockhart's silver Chrysler Sebring on Highway 80 East in Russell County.

Lockhart was going 75 mph, and the speed limit in the construction zone Lockhart was driving through was 45 mph, Williams said.

When Williams ran Lockhart's driver's license, investigators asked Williams to hold Lockhart for questioning.

Williams said he had Lockhart lean against the Sebring's bumper, and when the investigators arrived, Lockhart got back into the car and fled.

A two to three mile chase ensued, and officer Dale Richards, who was on a motorcycle, followed Lockhart first, Williams said.

Richards was also called to the stand and testified about the chase.

"(Lockhart was) very reckless," Richards said. "He was off the roadway a couple of times."

Richards said Lockhart stopped his vehicle on Summerville Road about half a mile from Glenwood High School.

When Lockhart opened his door, Richards, who was on a motorcycle, ran into it and was injured.

Lockhart began to run and was apprehended by other officers in a wooded area near the road.

Sgt. Mike Vargo said he recovered a cell phone and an iPod from Lockhart after he was apprehended.

Vargo also inspected Lockhart's car and found three CBC brand .38 special shell casings, one green shirt and four 20 oz. Gatorade bottles.

Sgt. Gregory Lahr, a Phenix City felony investigator, was called to the stand and asked to identify the iPod he and Vargo collected from Lockhart the day of the arrest.

When assistant district attorney Kisha Abercrombie displayed images from the iPod, Burk's family and friends stirred.

Burk's father Jim said loudly, "That sucks," and Judge Jacob Walker III called for a five-minute recess.

Jaklyn Semones, Burk's older sister, was called to the stand to confirm that she bought the iPod for Burk in 2006.

"She uploaded like every single one of her CD's," Semones said. "She just sat at her computer for hours uploading music."

Semones' began to cry as she identified the photo on the background of the iPod.

"That's my sister and one of her best friends, Madison, who was here earlier today," Semones said.

After the recess, Lahr testified that he and other officers recovered a handgun near Publix at the intersection of Summerville and Pierce roads.

The gun had two live rounds and one empty casing in the barrel, Lahr said.

Court was dismissed at 4:32 p.m. and will resume at 9 a.m. tomorrow.

Share and discuss “Courtney Lockhart trial: further evidence revealed through Phenix City police testimony” on social media.