Couture for the Cure raises funds for mammograms

Gilda Osborn, sophomore in prenursing, walks the runway during the Couture for the Cure fashion show Thursday. (Charlie Timberlake / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

The Auburn University Modeling Board raised money in style Thursday evening.

It was the board's first philanthropic event, Couture for the Cure.

The fashion show was held at the Event Center Downtown in Opelika and featured fashion from various Auburn boutiques.

The event raised more than $2,400 from presale tickets alone.

All proceeds went to the East Alabama Medical Center's Breast Health Program Mammogram Fund, which helps fund free mammogram screenings.

Each member was required to sell five tickets at $12 each. Tickets were also sold at the door for $15, and donations were accepted.

In addition to the fashion show, the event had a cash bar, food donated by local restaurants and live music by student Sam Rutledge, as well as a raffle and silent auction.

The modeling board members were grateful for the local businesses' efforts to make the event a success.

"Several businesses downtown sold presale tickets and donated food and clothes to make the show possible and to help with the raffle and silent auction," said Caroline Schrader, senior in communication and assistant fashion show coordinator for the modeling board.

The event has board members hopeful for future events.

"We've always wanted to do a philanthropy," said Andrea Jemison, modeling board president and senior in health care administration. "Over the past few years, we've been struggling to find a cause that we could relate to our organization's purpose, and breast care awareness seemed perfect."

The cause also hits home for Jemison, who lost a close friend to breast cancer this summer.

"I was excited to be able to make a difference by donating to these courageous women," Jemison said. "It was also meaningful to me that I had the opportunity to serve as president during our first year putting on this event."

Modeling Board members hope to see Couture for the Cure become an annual event.

"This will be my last year on the board since I'm a senior, so I am so thankful that I was able to be a part of Couture for the Cure before I graduate, but I hope they continue doing it," Schrader said.

The Modeling Board is looking forward to planning similar events in the future, said Lauren Bailey, sophomore in public relations.

"I can't wait for the next event we host," Bailey said. "It was a really rewarding experience and also fun at the same time."

Audience members consisted of students, parents, community members and EAMC staff.

"I wanted to come out to show my appreciation and support because all the proceeds are benefiting us," said Julia Pipes, director of East Alabama Medical Center Foundation.

Jemison said the modeling board is already looking forward to next year.

"The board loved it, the owner of the Event Center loved it, and we look forward to making it bigger and better next year."

Share and discuss “Couture for the Cure raises funds for mammograms” on social media.