Four Loko popular despite sobering health concerns

The party may be over for Four Loko at Central Washington University, but in Auburn it's still going strong (for now).

Last month, nine students from Central Washington University were hospitalized and several others were reported sick after drinking large amounts of the alcoholic beverage Four Loko at a party, prompting the school to temporarily ban the brew from campus.

The Auburn Medical Clinic has not yet heard of any students becoming sick from drinking Four Loko, said Dr. Shannon Cason. Then again, he said, few people are willing to admit they come into the clinic because they were drinking.

"We are concerned about it, though," Cason said. "It's quite a potent drink, but as far as we know, there have been no specific cases reported."

For Caleb Reeves, senior in building science and bartender at Ariccia's in the Hotel and Conference Center, one time was all it took for him to swear the drink off.

"It sneaks up on you," Reeves said. "You don't feel like you're that drunk, then all of a sudden it's like being hit by a ton of bricks."

Reeves said he drank six Four Lokos once as part of a challenge. He didn't get sick, but Reeves said he never wants to try them again.

According to Foodsafetynews.com, the problem with the drink is its high levels of caffeine and alcohol. One can has a 12 percent alcohol content, about the same as six cans of beer, and as much caffeine as two cups of coffee.

The stimulant and depressant don't cancel each other out. The caffeine provides a boost of energy and postpones the feeling of inebriation, allowing people to continue drinking more than they normally would.

"I had way too much energy for how much alcohol I consumed that night," Reeves said. "My heart was racing, and I was breaking out into a sweat just sitting still."

Bonita Marin, employee at The Goal Post, said the single cans of Four Loko are one of the store's top sellers.

"At first, you could only buy it in Georgia, and everyone was looking for it," Marin said. "When it came here, it really hit big."

Clara Kirby, cashier at the TK Store 17 on South College Street, said college students aren't the only ones hooked on the drinks. People of all ages ask for them all the time, Kirby said, and the store often sells out of them.

Four Loko has four main ingredients: taurine, guarana, caffeine and alcohol.

Taurine is an amino acid found in the human body, located in skeletal and cardiac muscle tissue.

Guarana is a naturally caffeinated South American berry and is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Marin and Kirby said they are aware of the drink's reputation and ban in other states but have not heard any backlash from local students.

"I don't really have an opinion either way if we should sell it or not," Kirby said. "It's not necessarily supposed to be good for you, but I think in moderation it's OK."

Reeves said if anything, there should be a ban on the amount of alcohol mixed with caffeine.

It would be more appropriate, he said, to set an alcohol content limit than to ban Four Loko entirely.

"I wouldn't be against a ban," Reeves said, "but I think limiting the amount of alcohol that can be sold in a can would probably be better."

Share and discuss “Four Loko popular despite sobering health concerns” on social media.